Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more note on the "negativity" issue. I agree with theBioGuy that this is a user review forum. That means we are invited to discuss all aspects of the gear - both positive and negative. IMHO, the most unnecessary comments come from those criticizing those who dare to speak against the product. Such comments are actually more ironic than useful: saying someone else is being negative is the very epitome of being negative. (Oops, that means I was just negative myself... Oops, I did it again! NNNeeet!)

Comment

• Tone questions:

Anyone use any of the Ya pedals? I've been trying to get a good auto-wah tone but haven't had much success. I've tried Auto Ya, Ya Ya, Synth Talk, and can't seem to get anything that sounds like a reasonable auto wah sound. Anyone using any of these pedals and liking it? If so, what are your settings?

Relatedly, I find the actual wah pedals difficult to use for two reasons... the on-off on the pedal is too sensitive, so it's too easy to turn it off by accident when using it. (Something for DigiTech to think about fixing...) and also I tend to use the volume pedal in every patch to help me control volume between patches, and it's tough to have both volume and wah running to the same pedal at the same time. I hate to have to go to max volume to turn the wah effect on. Any ideas?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by paka
        View Post

One more note on the "negativity" issue. I agree with theBioGuy that this is a user review forum. That means we are invited to discuss all aspects of the gear - both positive and negative. IMHO, the most unnecessary comments come from those criticizing those who dare to speak against the product. Such comments are actually more ironic than useful: saying someone else is being negative is the very epitome of being negative. (Oops, that means I was just negative myself... Oops, I did it again! NNNeeet!)

agreed, pros and cons of the product should be discussed. my comment earlier today does not refer to criticism of the product itself, it is aimed at the way this discussion is coming about. you can have your opinion, just as others here can as well.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fingers
          View Post

Relatedly, I find the actual wah pedals difficult to use for two reasons... the on-off on the pedal is too sensitive, so it's too easy to turn it off by accident when using it. (Something for DigiTech to think about fixing...) and also I tend to use the volume pedal in every patch to help me control volume between patches, and it's tough to have both volume and wah running to the same pedal at the same time. I hate to have to go to max volume to turn the wah effect on. Any ideas?

if I remember right, you can set the threshold of pressure needed to engage the wah pedal when calibrating the expression pedal. I haven't done this for awhile, but I seem to remember being asked this while calibrating. I'm used to engaging a switch like many guitarists are, so I pushed pretty hard to calibrate and I rarely have 'accidental' engagements with it. agreed about the dual use of the expression pedal though, that's a tough one to work out. I used the expression pedal for a solo boost (via using it as a volume pedal) for awhile, but ran into the same thing - using the wah on the same patch could only be done with the loudest volume setting on that patch. I've since stopped using the volume pedal for a solo boost, and placed an EP Booster in the stomp loop for this purpose.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fingers
            View Post

Tone questions:

Anyone use any of the Ya pedals? I've been trying to get a good auto-wah tone but haven't had much success. I've tried Auto Ya, Ya Ya, Synth Talk, and can't seem to get anything that sounds like a reasonable auto wah sound. Anyone using any of these pedals and liking it? If so, what are your settings?

I think the auto-wah is actually called "envelope filter" or some such thing just to confound us. Check the Mysterious Ways patch posted previously. That one uses the auto-wah (envelope filter) in reverse, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fingers
            View Post

...I tend to use the volume pedal in every patch to help me control volume between patches, and it's tough to have both volume and wah running to the same pedal at the same time. I hate to have to go to max volume to turn the wah effect on. Any ideas?

This is another one for the suggestion box to DT. The wah should have it's own set of controls, including volume, sweep min/max, and an option for selecting a fixed position in the wah sweep range which would basically disengage the wah from the expression pedal, and enable it to be a static effect on its own as mentioned in a previous post regarding artists that used the wah in a fixed position (Brian May, Jimmy Page, Hendrix were all mentioned as examples.)

As far as a workaround for this issue, it might work to use a "dummy" pedal in the chain if you have a spare unused stomp available for the patch. That effect would be set without effects other than "level" which could be used to boost or dampen the rest of the sound. Not sure if this is feasible or if there are any effects that would allow it, but many of the pedals have levels. Frankly, that's another one for the suggestion box: a pedal which functions only as a fixed boost or dampener.

Comment

• I have a question that may have been addressed somewhere within the 77 pages of this forum. But I don't know if I could locate it or how to.

Does anyone understand where the speaker sim resides within the line of effects? The obvious answer is that it follows the amp directly. This looks correct because if you pick an amp then a speaker will pop up and when our use the external amp loop and select it with the foot switch then both amp and speaker sims are turned off. But most people who use guitars with normal amps and hard wired effects would have those effects in the effects loop thus separating the speaker and amp. If nothing else, the reverb effect separates the amp and speaker. So my question is, does the iPB-10 place the speaker at the end of the chain like a normal setup or glue it right after the amp? I can see that in a recording studio effects added after the recording would be after the speaker. Anytime reverb, EQ, delay or other effects are added after something is recorded it would be after the speaker. Does it matter where the speaker is placed? Does it have an affect on the ultimate sound?

I am asking because I'm thinking about adding some outboard pedals and trying to decide whether to add them at the front before the guitar iput or in the effects loop. I was thinking about the boost pedal statement and considering an outboard compressor or using the compressor built into the effects board and where I might put those pedals in the line. The overdrive pedals and EQ would obviously go before the board and time effects would go in the loop but where to put the boost.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09
                View Post

How 'bout a reasonable babystep compromise. A future update can have an area for My Apps, to launch App1, App2, App3, App4 .. App X.

The labels would be user-configurable ; the apps being lauched would be user-chosen from a picklist of installed apps.

In that way, I can be in Nexus, and simply tap on My Apps, see my list of Music, Songsterr, OnSong, TabToolkit and Dictionary, and easily access them.

This won't be possible since Apple don't allow apps to launch other apps.

Comment

• @Stoutsongs: That's an interesting question as to where the cab exists in the chain. Don't know for sure, but I notice that in pretty much all stock patches, they have the EQ, gate, and volume pedal after the compressor, dirt, and amp sim, so given my theory that the cab sims are just basically additional EQ settings, it would make sense that they do directly follow the amp. But you have a good point that in a real amp effect chain, the cab is actually the last "effect" to color the sound after all the effects in the loop. Distortions coming from overdriven speakers would be distorting all the effects in the chain and muddying the modulation effects somewhat, and we know that doesn't happen in a cab sim. (We can't get any dynamic elements from a cab sim). This may not be the case in a studio which would basically mic the amp before applying modulation effects. So we can assume that DT has followed the studio model. So your question: Does it matter where the speaker is placed as to it's ultimate affect on sound? The answer would seem to be yes.

As far as where to put the boost, I would think to put it right where the volume pedal is in nearly all stock patches (before/after vol pedal probably doesn't matter). If it's a clean boost that is. Anything that adds distortion or is designed to overdrive the amp would need to go in front of it.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by thebioguy
                    View Post

Yes, it most definitely will. (Now, this blindness is truly a frightening development.)

To be clear. I said a future iOS update killing the Nexus app. For example, the Qrafter app (look it up) just announced that their latest update will be the last to support iOS 4.2.x or earlier. This is the future of Nexus, unless DT has a strategy to keep the Nexus app alive past the iPB-10 discontinuation date. The compatibility of the "last" Nexus update, to future iOS updates, is NOT up to DT. It's up to Apple.

To repeat, an iOS update that kills Nexus (past DT's support date), kills the iPB-10 for EVERYONE at the same time.

(Am I the only one who has every updated an OS, or shelled out another 500 bucks to keep Pro Tools alive? Seriously?)

It's up to the app developer what version of iOS the app will work with. An app could easily run on iOS 5 and a future iOS 8 or 9 if the app's developer want's it to. At that time there wouldn't be any need to update the Nexus app any way so I think your worries are way off.

Comment

• I hope I'm not shunned for asking such a simple question, but I've recently become confused by the chain order. I'd love a definitive answer (as I'm still green to pedals) when editing the pedals in iPB, the chain runs left(instrument) to right(Line out), or from right to left? Thanks for helping the new guy. again.

cheers.

(and btw, great discussions. I read everyday and learn constantly)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by paka
                        View Post

@Stoutsongs: That's an interesting question as to where the cab exists in the chain. Don't know for sure, but I notice that in pretty much all stock patches, they have the EQ, gate, and volume pedal after the compressor, dirt, and amp sim, so given my theory that the cab sims are just basically additional EQ settings, it would make sense that they do directly follow the amp. But you have a good point that in a real amp effect chain, the cab is actually the last "effect" to color the sound after all the effects in the loop. Distortions coming from overdriven speakers would be distorting all the effects in the chain and muddying the modulation effects somewhat, and we know that doesn't happen in a cab sim. (We can't get any dynamic elements from a cab sim). This may not be the case in a studio which would basically mic the amp before applying modulation effects. So we can assume that DT has followed the studio model. So your question: Does it matter where the speaker is placed as to it's ultimate affect on sound? The answer would seem to be yes.

As far as where to put the boost, I would think to put it right where the volume pedal is in nearly all stock patches (before/after vol pedal probably doesn't matter). If it's a clean boost that is. Anything that adds distortion or is designed to overdrive the amp would need to go in front of it.

Any rumors of a clean boost in the update? Right now I'm using the eq as a boost and it's fine, but it means I can't...well... use it as an Eq all the time.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by saxophonix
                          View Post

I hope I'm not shunned for asking such a simple question, but I've recently become confused by the chain order. I'd love a definitive answer (as I'm still green to pedals) when editing the pedals in iPB, the chain runs left(instrument) to right(Line out), or from right to left? Thanks for helping the new guy. again.

cheers.

(and btw, great discussions. I read everyday and learn constantly)

I am assuming it's left to right.
                          iPB-10 Ready Reference Web Site
                          My new home for forum discussions : DigiTech iPB-10 USER FORUM (at TGP)

Comment

• Craig - just a follow-up to post 1341 (P 68). Any intentions of reorganizing this amazing iPB-10 thread into suitable buckets?, ie, perhaps something like:
                            • Pro and User reviews (incl user experiences, comments, critiques)

• General Q and A

• Shared User Patches (song specific posts with screenshots/audio links)

• Suggestion Box (wish list re future possibilities)

• Accessories ( gig bags, cables, etc)

• Reference Material

Comment

• Been PM'ing with drewbrothers, paka and others on the idea of an iPB-10 suggestion box summary.

I'll be adding one to the ready reference site. It would be area that succintly summarizes the outcome of discussion around a future suggestion/wish list idea posted here at HC. The actual colloborative discussion would still be done on the forum ; I would never want to undermine that. All I'm after here is to is summarize the outcome.

If we do it right, the summary would be helpful to:

-users (to be aware of suggestions already made, workarounds available, etc)

-DT (so they are at least aware of what users are looking for)

-API developers ( if in future there is an API)

The intent is to occasionally review/monitor (hopefully with the help of others), the suggestions/wish-list items made and being made on this forum (and perhaps elsewehere) and succintly summarize them.

Keeping it simple, each suggestion would have:

-Unique refrence number

-Area ( eg one of Amps, Cabinets, Pedals, Patches, Nexus, etc..

-Subject (short one liner)

-Suggestion

-Workaround

-Source

See sample below.

Hope to have it up and running this weekend. Perhaps one day I'll have a voting mechanism, but baby steps for now.

To the extent users want to help, please do so !... ie email or PM me succicnt summaries of product suggestions in any format you want to (perferably somethng I can cut'n'paste').

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09
                                View Post

Been PM'ing with drewbrothers, paka and others on the idea of an iPB-10 suggestion box summary.

I'll be adding one to the ready reference site. It would be area that succintly summarizes the outcome of discussion around a future suggestion/wish list idea posted here at HC. The actual colloborative discussion would still be done on the forum ; I would never want to undermine that. All I'm after here is to is summarize the outcome.

If we do it right, the summary would be helpful to:

-users (to be aware of suggestions already made, workarounds available, etc)

-DT (so they are at least aware of what users are looking for)

-API developers ( if in future there is an API)

Can you also allow us to vote on individual entries? That would allow Digitech to see which features are in the most demand.

You can try to minimize ballot stuffing by only allowing a given IP address to vote once per entry.

EDIT: Well, my reading comprehension is low today:

Quote Originally Posted by MedianMan

Perhaps one day I'll have a voting mechanism, but baby steps for now.

:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X