No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by thebioguy
    View Post

The compatibility of the "last" Nexus update, to future iOS updates, is NOT up to DT. It's up to Apple.

The biggest factor here is changes in the dock API used to transfer data to/from the iPB-10 from the iOS device. The UI and underlying API's have had available backwards compatibility to iOS 3.0 (which included the dock API) ever since iOS 3.0 came out. Even today, you can build apps compatible with iOS 3.0 using the latest iOS SDK which means for the past 3 years developers have had the ability to develop near universal iOS apps.

That said:

- It is up to Apple to determine whether or not the dock API changes.

- It is up to DigiTech to update Nexus should the dock API change.

- It is up to the user to whether or not to upgrade to the latest iOS if the Nexus app isn't supported ("kills the iPB-10 for EVERYONE at the same time" - not necessarily).

Yes the iPB-10 will have a lifespan. Apple will at some point change enough of the dock API or require a higher iOS version and will render the iPB-10 'static' IF you upgrade to the latest iOS firmware. That is the inherent nature of 3rd party platform dependence. That is why comparisons to pedals which don't rely on 3rd party platforms/software is irrelevant and is comparing apples to oranges.

Will it come sooner than later? I don't think so. Apple has too much on the table with current External Accessories (devices that use the dock connector) to render the entire accessory market obsolete. It will take a while for anything to change in regards to the dock API to force DigiTech to update the Nexus app because doing so would force every other vendor to update their apps AND hardware. There is not faster way to piss off a hardware vendor than to render an entire product line obsolete.

So what should DigiTech do? That is up to them, but my thoughts are that when the time comes, open sourcing the Nexus app will help to keep it alive and kicking. But, we'll cross that bridge when it happens. I'm not worried about it even though I know a lot about the guts and have been in the computer industry for a while now. No need worrying about something that might come 5 years or 20 years from now.

Also, a note to people who are worried about approval times and making guesses about it: publicly available approval times are only applicable to apps which do not make use of any external accessories (like the iPB-10). The review process for apps which do use the dock connector is different as they have to ensure that they adhere to strict I/O protocol guidelines on top of the functionality of the UI. My guess is that Apple has an iPB-10 in-house and also tests the firmware upgrade process.

Comment

• I really like the Plan B solution offered by Johnny_Fingers - worst case , just get an older iPad unit and dedicate it to the ipb-10. That's worst case. Many other possible futures.
      iPB-10 Ready Reference Web Site
      My new home for forum discussions : DigiTech iPB-10 USER FORUM (at TGP)

Comment

• The sad thing is I'm an IT guy and I never thought about shelfware sceniro. If it did come down to that I would honestly at that point just get a new iPad and leave this one in my iPad, as long as it is not in the near future.

Really when you think about by the time this sceniro happens it probably will be time to get a new iPad anyway, at least for the new features outside of the iPB. haha I mean really every time apple adds the smallest feature their loyal followers go out and buy new iphones, ipods, and ipads.

That is why I think if Digitech keeps doing the smaller and more frequent updates it is important. I think we the users will get the most out of the product then the large update once in a blue moon. Plus, by having the ear of DtRep here we might get more than with some of the other products out there. At least we are being heard and getting answers to our questions. They might not always be what we want but it something.

Anyway, let's wait for the update and see what it brings. The update could very well make this whole conversation useless. I know I might be dreaming but still you never know.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Reposed Roller
          View Post

It is up to the user to whether or not to upgrade to the latest iOS if the Nexus app isn't supported ("kills the iPB-10 for EVERYONE at the same time" - not necessarily).

But how would you know beforehand that the iOS update killed your Nexus? Apple's not checking Nexus before releasing the next update, so it would have to affect some proportion of iPB-10 users. Considering the speed at which iPad users update their iOS, I would imagine that the majority of users would be affected before a few slow pokes hear about the Nexus crash.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09
            View Post

Another way to look at it...

2011 - iPB-10 introduced

2012- IOS6 announced

2012- iPB-10 still supported, Nexus validated to run on IOS6

2012 -All ipad users upgrade to IOS 6. No Nexus issues

2013- IOS7 announced

2013- iPB-10 still supported, Nexus validated to run on IOS7

2013 -All ipad users upgrade to IOS 7. No Nexus issues

2014- IOS8 announced

2014- iPB-10 no longer supported (say). Nexus NOT validated and say wont run on IOS8.

2014 -All ipad users upgrade to IOS 8.

Nexus no longer works ( for all users worldwide). iPB-10 only works in standalone mode, with whatever settings are currently applied. Now what?

One offseting solution might be if there was some other way to apply settings eg an Xedit like desktop app .. or the API route.... or ???

That's not actually a valid scenario. For instance, iOS6 already does not support the first iPad. I imagine, by the time we get to that point, the older iPads will not be useful for much else and would not be a big deal to just dedicate to the iPB-10

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep
              View Post

We have kept abreast of every change to iOS since the introduction of the iPB-10 and our plan is to continue to do so. Will we support every permutation of OS that Apple (or someone else) creates forever? No.

Just to make sure I understand, your complaint is that the future is uncertain and things become obsolete?

I think the concern is that for whatever reasons, software support has not lived up to customer expectations in a time when the iPB-10 is one of DT's flagship products. Not hard to imagine a near future (after the next big thing DT thing comes out with)in which DT devotes even fewer resources to supporting this unit, and OS evolution dictates obselescence. I think it's a valid concern, but for now I'd be very happy just to get the long-promised update!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by thebioguy
                View Post

But how would you know beforehand that the iOS update killed your Nexus? Apple's not checking Nexus before releasing the next update, so it would have to affect some proportion of iPB-10 users. Considering the speed at which iPad users update their iOS, I would imagine that the majority of users would be affected before a few slow pokes hear about the Nexus crash.

It is easy enough to downgrade iOS to the previous revision should the latest update break something you don't want broken. It isn't a 1-way street.

Comment

• Sometimes when I am using the 8tiva distortion pedal it glitches out and just produces a terrible noise till I shut it off or change patches. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone else even use this dirt box? Is this an ipb bug or did the original pedal behave this way too?

Comment

• When did the iPB come out anyways. I know it was in 2011 but was it at the end of the year or beginning?

Comment

View Post

It is easy enough to downgrade iOS to the previous revision should the latest update break something you don't want broken. It isn't a 1-way street.

How do you do this? Apple support communities says it can't be done.

Comment

View Post

Will it come sooner than later? I don't think so. Apple has too much on the table with current External Accessories (devices that use the dock connector) to render the entire accessory market obsolete. It will take a while for anything to change in regards to the dock API to force DigiTech to update the Nexus app because doing so would force every other vendor to update their apps AND hardware. There is not faster way to piss off a hardware vendor than to render an entire product line obsolete

Unless your Apple, and you do it to your own product line. Like the first generation Apple TV which stopped working after iOS6.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by drewbrothers
                          View Post

When did the iPB come out anyways. I know it was in 2011 but was it at the end of the year or beginning?

July 2011

Comment

• I tend to side with "the bioguy", if only because he is playing the Devil's Advocate (i.e asking the "what if's"). But, (there is always a "but" ), anybody who buys anything that is 'tethered', or reliant on an ancillary device, is staring planned obsolescence in the face. I remember reading all the "what if I spill a beer on my iPad?!?! I won't be able to play with my iPB-10!!!" as an excuse as to why someone wouldn't buy it, but reasoned that since the iPB-10 doesn't rely on it for FUNCTIONING (only for interface purposes), that isn't really a big drama. The idea of DT not supporting it beyond a certain point wasn't really on my radar, but it is a good point.

A few solutions that I quickly thought of were already mentioned (dedicate an old iPad to be solely used for Nexus, etc), so while it is a minor obstacle, it is not insurmountable. I haven't bought one yet (still trying to convince my better-half that this is a 'must have', not just a 'want'), but I still feel committed to purchasing one. I remember the VHS/Betamax days, as well as LaserDiscs, Sony's various formats, etc, so it needs to always be in the back of one's mind, but it shouldn't be a showstopper.... There will always be advances in technology that leave some things behind, but if I can get at least 2 or 3 years out of the iPB, I think that will be a pretty decent investment, the least of which will be having an "all-in-one" device to introduce me to the many different tones available (I currently own a few guitars, and a solid state amp.... so I am starting at mile zero here), and I can perhaps purchase stand-alone pedals based on careful research, rather than hit-or-miss approach (those shiny ads in the guitar magazines have almost seduced me in the past...)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Ostate98
                              View Post

That's not actually a valid scenario. For instance, iOS6 already does not support the first iPad. I imagine, by the time we get to that point, the older iPads will not be useful for much else and would not be a big deal to just dedicate to the iPB-10

This is exactly what I was thinking. My bet is that this future hypothetical update that breaks Nexus is most likely to not be available or compatible with the current iPad hardware (iPad 2, or 3) anyway so why worry about that now.

Comment

• I think the last few pages of this thread have been possibly eye opening to some about the fragility of technology but also have been unproductive towards the product we've been discussing. To state that such and such technology will be obsolete in a couple of years doesn't help the community figure out how to use what we already have. Making suggestions about how to improve the product through some minor upgrades is good if the company is listening to us. My guess is that they might give some improvements and then move on. That is the norm for most of these companies. We also should be aware that this is a very nitch product where a small percent of the population might consider buying into this piece of equipment. To use a product like the iPad as an interface is brilliant. Someone in this thread suggested Digitech create their own interface. They obviously have no clue as the amount of research and development and money this would take. They couldn't make this product under $10000. You have to sell a lot of products for the cost to come down. And why do it when it already exits. Sure, the iPad (interface) will change in the future and the iPB-10 will probably become obsolete in 5 or so years but we are just seeing the beginning of how this technology can be used. And what's more, it doesn't cost $2000. We live in a Walmart minded world. Constantly wanting more and better for less and less. This is cheap. It's almost at throw-away price compared to very nice amps and guitars. Most middle income parents could buy it as a gift for Christmas for their kid. The iPad is almost a have-to-have for most kids so why not.

Let's try and go on to subject that will help us work with the iPB-10 better and not worry about it going away. There's always something out there on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
                                X