DIY Vocal Booth

In The Mix

• Members

Here's my DIY recording booth! Too bad I didn't record a video of the process. It would've been a job anyway because we made many changes as we went along... . It made a huge difference for my home recording life. It's really a vocal booth but big enough for a Guitar, Flute, Violin ... type of instrument as well. My mics used to pick up a lot of noise (neighbors, cars, birds, lawnmoers...) and even crickets at night. Now I can record any time without having to worry about any of those things. The noise coming from the outside is so faint that none of my condenser mics are able to pick them up icon_smile.gif

How much it cost? Between 3k-4k range. I didn't take my time to look for sales or cheaper alternatives. I pretty much bought what I liked. I'm pretty sure this can be done with half that budget.

Here's the photo album on Flickr:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjRxhsJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was having a rough time getting a good, clear sound when recording and everyone kept telling me to get a Kaotica Eyeball and it would take out all ambient sound. I couldn't afford that so I did a cheap alternative after watching a YouTube video and built something I'm calling "The Cube" for now (no intent to patent).

It was a box using 1x1 for wood. I took 6 towels between 2 more towels (8 total) and measured them and cut them to fit the cube and then left one side open. If you need to build some extra panels and such to add, I'd highly recommend it if you're on a budget.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
That looks VERY nice! :thu:

Can you tell us more about the process, and what went into the build?

Sorry about the extended delay. I never noticed the replies on this post.

This whole thing is pretty much made of 6 parts that can be unscrewed. I have moved to a new house since, so I did take it apart and re-assemble. The platform has wheels so the booth itself is not touching the floor. We started with the platform (6X6) first and from there we figured out the measurements for 4 walls. The hardest one is the front panel...because you need to add an opening for the door. You really need a thick/solid door for the job. That's the only part that we didn't make ourselves. If I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't add a window. It's really not necessary and makes it more complicated. Nonetheless, it's a double pane window with thick glass. We had to make additional modifications to get the door real tight. There are 2x4 cross bars that add support to the side and back wall. The panel is not screwed to the body, because its own weight that drops right into the opening and keeps it in place real tight. I have two mic inputs and 2 headphone outputs. Never had to use both simultaneously, but I have them just in case. There's a simple in-take/out-take box on the side for some air flow/ventilation.

• Members
I was having a rough time getting a good, clear sound when recording and everyone kept telling me to get a Kaotica Eyeball and it would take out all ambient sound. I couldn't afford that so I did a cheap alternative after watching a YouTube video and built something I'm calling "The Cube" for now (no intent to patent).

It was a box using 1x1 for wood. I took 6 towels between 2 more towels (8 total) and measured them and cut them to fit the cube and then left one side open. If you need to build some extra panels and such to add, I'd highly recommend it if you're on a budget.

Yes, the one without the Cube has a lot more room tone. Do you have a picture of the set up?

Sorry about the extended delay. I never noticed the replies on this post.

This whole thing is pretty much made of 6 parts that can be unscrewed. I have moved to a new house since, so I did take it apart and re-assemble. The platform has wheels so the booth itself is not touching the floor. We started with the platform (6X6) first and from there we figured out the measurements for 4 walls. The hardest one is the front panel...because you need to add an opening for the door. You really need a thick/solid door for the job. That's the only part that we didn't make ourselves. If I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't add a window. It's really not necessary and makes it more complicated. Nonetheless, it's a double pane window with thick glass. We had to make additional modifications to get the door real tight. There are 2x4 cross bars that add support to the side and back wall. The panel is not screwed to the body, because its own weight that drops right into the opening and keeps it in place real tight. I have two mic inputs and 2 headphone outputs. Never had to use both simultaneously, but I have them just in case. There's a simple in-take/out-take box on the side for some air flow/ventilation.

It looks very nice - great job, and thanks for the details!

Archived