DIY Guitar tuner

DeepEnd

• Members

I got a new cell phone about a month ago and one of the ''apps'' I wanted to transfer over was my DIY guitar tuner. I made a series of guitar tones in Anvil Studio, a MIDI editor, exported the result as a .wav file, and then converted that to an .mp3 in Audacity. Now I can just play the audio back and tune to it. Handy when I don't have another tuner available.

• Members

Yeah, it's definitely handy. I have an E tuning fork somewhere, I think in the case with my 12-string I never play any more. 329.63 Hz or thereabouts. FWIW, if the power went out I'd probably have other things on my mind besides tuning my guitar. ;)

• Members
Yeah' date=' it's definitely handy. I have an E tuning fork somewhere, I think in the case with my 12-string I never play any more. 329.63 Hz or thereabouts. FWIW, if the power went out I'd probably have other things on my mind besides tuning my guitar. ;)[/quote']

civilization would need rebuilding, a guitar might be a way to keep the better Angels of our nature alive?

I don't know where you live but I'm blessed to live in a state of grace

backyard has woods, water, wild game to eat if necessary

• Members
If you have a cell phone' date=' why don't you just download a free instrument tuner application? There's a ton of them out there.[/quote']

My old phone was a flip phone, therefore no ''apps.'' Plus, apps take up space. The Fender tuner app, for example, is over 12 megs just to download and more than that installed, and I can't install apps on my SD card, whereas I can put my little less-than-one-meg high quality (256kbps, 59 seconds running time) .mp3 anywhere. In fact, after I converted the file to .aac format, it was about half a meg. In addition, I tried a tuner app that does what my DIY tuner does (produce a series of tuning tones) and it was so quiet I couldn't hear it. My DIY tuner is more than loud enough and it's fine for tuning by ear. Not going for ''off the shelf'' is kinda the reason for DIY anyway.

Archived