HELP with adding a speaker output to a combo amp

• Members

I recently purchased a Waller DFX65, a 2x12 solid state amp, and decided I would like to add an extension cabinet output.

Basically I wanted it to perform like a 4x12 when I add another 2x12 underneath it AND I wanted the pairing to create 4 ohms for maximum loudness (and also to match the original speakers Ohms)

So, I determined that 2 2x12 cabs wired in series with 4 ohm speakers would yield 8ohms a piece. THEN, with a parallel speaker output added to the back of the chassis that would get me 4 ohms.

After drilling the hole, adding the jack, swapping speakers out to the correct and matching ohms (I got 4 WGS V30's), and wiring it up as described above.... No sound what so ever comes out when the extension speaker is plugged up.

I used this diagram as reference for wiring: http://celestion.com/speakerworld/images/guitartech/39_gallery_3.jpg

I used a switchcraft jack that has 2 terminals per leg. One set of terminals as input from OT the other set as output to internal speakers. The jack is used as output to 2x12 cabinet wired the exact same as the internal speakers with the exact same speakers.

The speaker cable is very reliable. Everything to my knowledge looks "correct" but it simply doesn't work at all with the extension cabinet plugged in.

So... If anyone can help at all I would really appreciate it. I've been scratching my head about this all weekend.

Thanks

• Members

Also just discovered that I get the same problem (no sound out of EITHER cabinet) by simply plugging a cable into the speaker output jack i just installed and NO external cabinet...

Could it be a bad jack? Or the wrong jack?

Metering the jack via the tip and sleeve of a cable i plugged in reads back the correct Ohm of the internal speakers....

• Moderators

Here's what I'm thinking so far. The diagram is correct, so something is wrong with the implementation.

You didn't specifically say, but it sounds as though you're getting sound with nothing plugged in to the jack. My best guess is that the jack is a switching jack, and you're wired up such that plugging in disconnects the speakers from the amplifier. The jack having four terminals is consistent with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yea, sounds like you're using a switched or stereo jack or maybe the jack shorts against something when its plugged in. Get the jack out so you can see it. Find the TIP and SLEEVE terminals and mark them with a felt tipped pen so when you solder things up you get the right terminals.

BEWARE******* It may not be possible to mount a metal plug like a switchcraft to some solid state chassis. Not all solids state designs use frame ground for speaker common and grounding the negative speaker terminal can damage some amps, especially amps that don't have a built in speaker jack. On these kinds of amps they use plastic jacks or insulating grommets to prevent the metal sleeve of the jack from grounding out.

I couldn't find your exact amp but this other waller amp shows plastic jacks being used.

dvgsfzthakerne7jetko.jpg

Unless I saw a schematic or could actually inspect how the amp was built, I would not use an uninsulated jack.

111619995960_1.jpg

This way you eliminate the possibility grounding your output and damaging the power amp.

You have to be real careful soldering these jacks too. Speaker wire can be thicker and overheating the terminals will melt the crap out of the jack making it useless. In this picture the ring (- ground) is on the left. The Tip (+ Hot) is on the right. You want your speaker polarities to be right as well. Speakers in series need to be Positive/Negative/Positive/Negative like batteries in a flashlight in series. When you parallel the two sets of speakers the positives and negatives connect together like your diagram shows.

• Members

Metering the jack via the tip and sleeve of a cable i plugged in reads back the correct Ohm of the internal speakers....

My best guess is that the jack is a switching jack, and you're wired up such that plugging in disconnects the speakers from the amplifier. The jack having four terminals is consistent with that.

I used a switchcraft jack that has 2 terminals per leg. One set of terminals as input from OT the other set as output to internal speakers. The jack is used as output to 2x12 cabinet wired the exact same as the internal speakers with the exact same speakers.

I agree with Isaac.

If you connect the leads from the OT to the same terminals on the switch that you connected the original speakers it should work.

Can you post a picture of what you have down so far ?

Archived