need help with active pickup wiring: Loud Hum/Buzz and no sound.

SlabPloX

• Members

so, i received my set on Dragonfires active with pot and everything and tried to install it, i followed the wiring diagram supplied with the box wich is the same as this one : http://www.irongear.co.uk/2_x_active...toggle_v02.jpg

now try 1 : crappy noob soldering, hum/buzz no sound, hum/buzz stop when touching body/battery/jack/whatever.

try 2 : cleaned everything with desoldering braid and give it a go again. hum/buzz no sound again and hum/buzz stop when touching whatever again

try 3 : ditto

try 4 : re-re-recleaned... then did a pretty good job of soldering and everything - at least to my eyes - same result, well i might have welded the jack backward... cleaned jack and invert wire, weld, same result again.

try 5 : to this point, i don't even know if the pots/3 way switch is in working order or fried so i decided to go to a simple bridge pickup to jack, no vol no tone. to hot pickup to jack tip and pickup ground to guitar bridge ground and jack ground sleeve and then wired the battery to the ''other'' jack sleeve. following original diagram for wire on jack. same thing. also said to myself that maybe original ground to body is messed, new wire grounded to bridge. still the same result : hum/buzz no sound hum/buzz stop when touching bridge/string/battery...

at this point i don't know what to do, i would normally let a tech do the work but i live in a town without a tech/luthier.

so i need help ? what may have gone bad ? did i fried the jack output? i manage to mess a 1hum to jack wiring ? idk what going on right now...

• Members

Active pickups require a battery. When you do your test (pickup directly to jack) the battery still needs to be connected.

It is important that all ground connections be connected together.

Be sure to connet the jack properly - you'l notice from the diagram that the ground connection is the one that wraps around the plug. The wire from the volume control connects to the jack where the tip of the plug makes contact.

Can you post a photo of your connections so we can look for anything that may be missing?

Archived