Jamman Solo XT and Beat Buddy

the_big_e

• Members

I use a Jamman Solo Xt as a primary part of my little solo act which consists of me looping a keytar and then playing over it.

The Jamman has a 'drum beat' but it's pretty basic. It also does not really 'taslk' to anything else except other Digitech pedals that use jamsync.

Turns out jamsync is just their own midi sysex and a 'jamsync cable' is really just a micro midi cable.

Also, some people far cleverer than I have decoded at least some of the jamsync midi sysex, at least enough for my needs so I decided to get a beat buddy drum pedal and make them work together.

I know someone sells a device to sync the jamman to an external midi clock but I wanted to use the jamman as the master device and just have it (for now at least) set the tempo in the beat buddy.

I've already established that the do actually stay in sync with no noticeable drift even without a midi sync signal (maybe I just got lucky there but it works fine for me) so I hacked together some hardware and software and I've got them working together pretty well.

The picture is my setup. Jamsync out from the jamman into the arduino and a mid out from the arduino to the beat buddy with some 'magic' occurring inside the Arduino!

Here's a link to a short video showing the BB tracking the jamman tempo as I switch tracks:

30a565f8fb03b3187c27eae05550561f.thumb.jpg.77fdccb23ef2e119ae8d7378fc763905.jpg

• 3 years later...

Archived