Loud Buttons/Footswitch on Digitech Vocalist Live 5 or 3

Twik11

• Members

I have a Vocalist Live 5 (replaced my VL4) and I'm finding the buttons to be too loud when switching banks, engaging harmonies, etc. I have searched hi and low and the only thing I have found is that "clickless" switches are "momentary" only. Well, I only use the momentary functions of the switches on this anyway.

I've reached out to Digitech and got a polite, sorry that's the way it is...

I figure someone on here would have the knowledge to point me in the direction of making these "Clicks" go away.

Thanks

• Members

I'd have to see the unit or schematic to be specific on replacements. It looks like at least 2 or 3 switches are either DPDT or 3PDT switches. Your effects up and down switches are likely momentary.

The question is whether these switches are PC mount or not. If they are, Digitec is probably right. You're stuck with the switches they chose for the unit because there aren't many choices for those switch types and they all click.

If they are chassis mount connected by wires, Carling makes the best made and they do click. I personally wouldn't trade them out for any other switches. There are a ton of imports now, many are complete crap. They melt down just trying to solder them in and they don't last.

There are some momentary that are quieter. The Carling momentary that I have don't make much noise at all compared to the latching type like in the pic below. Carling have rounded sides and a balelite container that dont melt when soldering. Nearly all others are plastic and have varying limited lifespans. Here's a few. https://www.google.com/search?q=dpdt+push+button+switches&biw=1680&bih=928&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEYQsARqFQoTCKvq1p7L88YCFYU5iAoduScN2w#imgrc=i5mrNRRYxw7y-M%3A You can see by the pics how cheaply many are made. I've seen many begin to fail immediately after installation and have to put a second one in.

The momentary aren't as bad because its just a spring and contacts. There's no rocker plate that latches so there's no hard click. If you open the unit and tale a pic of the switches you're thinking about I may be able to suggest a quiet replacement.

The latching switches, Some have softer clicks but for the metal topped foot switch type, if they're already using Carlton I'd agree with Digitec and say deal with it. The Carlton should have a marking with a C someplace. You'll have to look to find out. Part of your problem is the case is metal which resonates. You may be able to dampen this noise using silicone or hot glue on the inside of the casing around the switch but reliability is most important. If you have an issue with an open mic recording I'd look at dampening vs replacement myself. If the units is using cheaper imports then maybe replacement is an option.

Like I said the momentary switches I use are very quiet and if the up and down switches are momentary, then you should be able to find quiet replacements so long as they aren't some kind of proprietary multi pinned PC mount switch. You got to get some pics of what's in there to know.

P-316-B-PP-2.jpg?1381957951

Archived