Getting p90 SG tones out of a LP double cut - help

devonteran

• Members

I've been looking for an SG w/p90s and along my search I've been offered a too good to pass up offer on a Les Paul double cut with fralin p90s. The LP feels great, and as a slab of mahogany should in theory get the same range of tones. This LP has two volume and two tone pots.

Compared to the SG the LP neck pickup is much more to my liking. I like the bridge too, but it's so clear and articulate it doesn't get the honk that I was hoping for in the SG.

I noticed that the SG Classic has 300k volume pots instead of what I think are 500k in the LP. Would it help me to get closer to what I'm looking if I switched pots?

Is there a way to use a push/pull pot to get that difference as a switchable setting to keep what it has now too? I've also thought of maybe trying a push/pull tone pot with a different value tone cap on each setting to shift the mid hump lower.

Thoughts? Input?

• Members

Some Paul's did have 500K pots with the P90's. The only way you'll know is by measuring them or opening up the cover and seeing what's written on the pot cans if they haven't been soldered over.

If they are 500K, going to 300K will give them less gain and cleaner tone, not hotter as you're wanting.

As far as going to push pull pots, I'm not a big fan of them. Paul's already use the best quality pots and switching to pots that have all kinds of schlock in them when you turn them is a down grade mod even with the added flexibility.

What I suggest is you adjust the pickups. Hold the last fret down and set the heights with a ruler. Set the Bridge to about 3mm from the string and the neck either the same or 4mm. Then set the individual pole screws to contour the neck radius of the strings. This usually requires a turn and a half on the center screws and half that on the 2nd and 5th. This will give your neck pup a little more bite if you have a good signal chain.

You got yourself a great guitar, just play the thing and forget about mods. If you want to tinker with tones, focus on pedals, amps and speakers now. The guitar should be able to get what you need.

If you still don't get what you want the only mod I'd suggest is going to Mini Humbuckers. You can still get the P90 sound when you turn down to 8 on the volume knobs but between 8 and 10 you can get that nice drive associated with Les Paul's.

Archived