Scrapola

Belva

• Members

I decided to nickname this Scrapola because it's literally all scraps

002.jpg

Had some left over 1/2" Baltic birch which became the top, bottom and baffle. The rest is some 1/2" ACX left from various other projects.

001.jpg

I'd never done a slant cab with a "TV" front so I got some practice. The amp is an old Samick AG10 I got for, IIRC, a buck at a yard sale. Had a torn speaker.

004.jpg

I also had a 10 Fender Special Design speaker I got when I put a Tone Tubby in a friend's Super champ XD. The handle and cab corners came from the Samick. Speaker cloth? Yup, a scrap. Even the truck bed liner was left over from a project I did awhile back. I ran out and it could use another coat. But this was an exercise, so I really don't care. The amp only draws 26 watts, so an xtra battery and a power inverter in my truck means this will be a dandy camp amp. Doesn't sound great, but it also doesn't sound bad with a bit of tweaking on my processor.

• Members

That works,

I cant count the number of scrap builds I've done, especially with speaker cabs. Some of the cool ones were made out of old wooden suit cases and trunks. Pretty easy too, you'd just cut a hole and mount your stuff.

• Members

Yeah WRG, finding a use for stuff many people would throw away is rewarding. S6000188.jpg

Even my high tech redneck taper jig for the table saw is made from a scrap that started life as a tailgate on a utility trailer. I'm turning that into a boat trailer, won't need it.

• Members

If you're a DIY guy you're also likely to be a scrapper and hoarder. Ever since I was a kid I'd grab stuff other people were throwing out and make something out of it. Sometimes it wound up being spare parts, and some times it was salvageable.

I was pulling out of my drive the other day and saw a neighbor was moving and saw a pile of stuff they were throwing out. I'd slow down to look and low and behold, I saw a set of bookshelf speakers in there. I hopped out and stuck them in my trunk. I figured I could stick some new speakers in there if they were dead.

I got to work and saw what the brand name was Dynaco. A-25's. Then I looked up what they were selling for these days (knowing the manufacturer from my amp repair days as an electronic tech) I was very happy to see they were selling for between $300 to $500 a set.

Next I just had to see if they were working or junk.. Hooked them up that night in my recording studio and Chin Chink, Cash register opened. Those suckers sounded great and worked fine. I've been using them in my studio as spare monitors ever since. The boxes were a little worn. Thy were obviously neglected and left in someone garage for years. I oiled the cabs and re-glued one corner that was separating. other then that I can easily sell them for $300 if and when I need the cash. Right now they get used for checking mixes and do quite well at that.

fetch?id=31458872

fetch?id=31458873

05452a5315220894d56da5967416abdd.thumb.jpg.96f48b9f18fe1e0dec7f52ca29d62b6b.jpg

a870191da2858ea37cd3074057ad6484.thumb.jpg.e844e8af30062ab6d9af1c989bcd9b8c.jpg

Archived