epiphone eb-3 with second sidewinder added at bridge position

p-bomb

• Members

I have an epiphone eb-3 and am getting ready to replace the mini humbucker at the bridge with a sidewinder pickup identical to the neck position pickup.does anyone have any experience with this layout or some tips on how i am to go about doing it without the need of a shop? I was told by the gibson dealer i bought the pickup from that it would wire directly into where the mini is currently. Any advice would help, thanks.

• Members

The bridge pickup on SG bases are the weak link. Hopefully that pickup will balance with the neck pickup which are actually pretty good.

If you don't know how to solder or wire it in, then let the guy do it for you. I do believe all guitarists should own a soldering iron and learn how to solder because it becomes too expensive having others do all your repairs for you. If you want to learn its not that hard. The one rule is to tin your wires and soldering iron tip then heat the connection so the metal is as hot as the iron tip before applying solder to the connection.

When the metal is hot enough it sucks solder into the joint and bonds with the metal. If the metal isn't hot enough the metal fails to bond and you get a cold solder joint with oxygen trapped inside which eventually corrodes and gives you a bad solder joint.

If you don't own and iron plus have 60/40 rosin core solder and don't want to take the time to practice soldering first, then just let the dealer do it.

Overheating pots and switches can destroy them and soldering requires quick efficient work to avoid damaging the parts and having to replace them. You rarely get the knack of soldering well until you develop some experience.

Archived