string saver instead of roller bridge for Guild Starfire IV

Emory

• Members

I got a Les Trem 2, can use on my '99 SFIV (US made, not Korea). Stop tail closer than normal, so steep angle and bit of binding on saddles. According to Guild site, the SFIV has 9.45" (240mm) neck radius, a bit uncommon. Can't seem to find roller bridge with that radius, besides fact many sites do not indicate what size neck radius the ones they selling are (?). Then thought perhaps graphtech string savers might be slick enough to use. Better than nothing. I haven't popped off the bridge to see if Gotoh (I think it may be...) in order to get correct size. Anyone done this sort of fix, has it worked out okay, do you know if new radius on MIK same as US Starfires.... any and all input appreciated. I live in Thailand these days, but will be going home to Oregon in month or so and would like to order a working solution. Thanks

• Members

Not sure how well the graph tech will work. Without rollers you will still have string binding. This can wear saddles, break strings as well as having tuning issues.

9.5" is a very common neck radius. If you can get me a Stud center to Stud center measurement and the string spacing for your current bridge I'm pretty sure I'd be able to find you a bridge that will work. I been at it a long time and found allot of sites that have hard to find items.

• Members

Using my Chinese tape measure (3 different scales...) appears to be 2 3/4" center to center, and 2" low to high spread of strings. I think that is standard.... Thanks a ton for offering to help. A tad difficult finding goodies here in Thailand.

• Members

I believe your guitar uses a rosewood bridge. All parts and others make a Gibson spaced bridge that should work on that instrument.

This one has a 70mm (nearly 2.75") post spacing and 50mm (2") string spacing that is Since this comes with the base it shouldn't matter what the post spacing is, just the string spacing.

Heres one listing for it. I saw better prices around as low as $25 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Roller-Tunematic-Bridge-in-Chrome-Bridge-Base-Set-tom-bigsby-Gretsch-/161548971375

There are also clones from China that are very inexpensive I believe most would work but they didn't list the actual string spacing.

If this guitar has a mounted bridge then finding the right bridge would be allot easier because most list the string and post spacing.

For oddball stuff where you want to find tune the spacing, a Space Control roller bridge would work. Most can be found on this page. Then you can shop for the best price.

http://www.jmimusic.com/guitar-bass-parts/bridges-tailpieces/tunematic/

• Members

Why don't these guys list radius? Here's a link to Gretsch discussion where fretboards anywhere from 9.45"-14" and who knows what is what... so merely saying "Gretsch" isn't enough... went allparts page, saw some ABM roller for $105, but under comments user posted " I would like to see one more version of this bridge produced in a 9.5" or 10" radius as well." so assume this is a 12". Very frustrating that will list string spacing and post spacing but not radius. Seems Guild is "settling down" and not so much problem when using trem.... think I'll just go with slightly slippery saddles. At least they won't rust over here in Thailand. Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Why don't these guys list radius? Here's a link to Gretsch discussion where fretboards anywhere from 9.45"-14" and who knows what is what... so merely saying "Gretsch" isn't enough... went allparts page' date=' saw some ABM roller for $105, but under comments user posted " I would like to see one more version of this bridge produced in a 9.5" or 10" radius as well." so assume this is a 12". Very frustrating that will list string spacing and post spacing but not radius. Seems Guild is "settling down" and not so much problem when using trem.... think I'll just go with slightly slippery saddles. At least they won't rust over here in Thailand. Thanks for the help.[/quote']

Did you ever resolve thus issue? I have a 1967 Guild Starfire VI with 9.5" radius. I currently have a 12" radius tuneomatic which of course raises the action on the outer strings. Nobody seems to make a roller bridge with 9.5" radius, though many similar guitars have this radius (guild, gretsch, epiphone at minimum). Someone must make one with adjustable radius...

• Members

I believe some of the old Moserite bridges were 9.5" radius. The problem with them is the saddles are super tall and you need allot of clearance between the body and strings.

Your best bet might be to use a Wilkinson roller bridge. The roller saddles are held in place with Allen screws. You can make yourself some shims to put under the saddles using an aluminum can cut up with scissors into small pieces the size of the saddles, then drill a hole through them where the set screw goes through. You need a radius gauge of course to know how many shims you need. The two in the center will likely need twice as mistc as the 2nd and 5th strings and the two E strings wont need any.

fetch?filedataid=119697

This is what allot of Gretsch guitars use. You can buy these space bridges for $20 but there is no intonation. they mount on a movable wooden archtop bridge you move to intonate.

. shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr8bYelAxCo7ZjZnuSKQOo7MjRSqGTT5itETWSaHuDy3k30BCKx2zg6WsbzEfpJ8BnOEXOweZW&usqp=CAE

• Members

I ended up buying something very similar to the Wilkinson from China. It has rollers and is 2"; between E strings. Posts may be little off though so might have to drill holes out a bit - as I did for the tuneomatic. The radius however is 12"; so I will have to shim saddles as you suggested. Shouldn't affect sustain too much since its a moveable metal bridge anyway with some kind of felt on the bottom. (You would think that would really suck sustain, but this guitar rings like a bell.) That space bar looks kinda wacky though. Do those rollers even move (other than to adjust)? No intonation would be a huge problem. Thanks for posting!

Archived