MXL R144 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon

albano1973

• Members

I'm going to mod a new MXL R144 Ribbon Mic with a new transformer

I read people saying they also replace the stock ribbon with a 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon

But when I look at the specs I see the stock mic comes already with a 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon

I mean other then testing to make sure it's not too loose, I should be alright with the stock 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon or is there a problem with the stock ribbon and I should replace it with a brand new & fresh 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon?

Thanks!!

I don't know of any particularly good reason to mess with the ribbon as long as it's properly placed and tensioned.

As far as the transformer, replacing the stock unit with something better might yield sonic improvements - I'd be very interested in hearing what you think after you do so.

• Members

Yeah that's what I thinking too, I mean I'll make sure it isn't loose and all that or torn, ribbon wise, I hear the stock model ribbons sometimes come right out of the box with problems, so I should test it right away

but transformer wise, I've read a lot of articles and listened to a lot of before and afters involving transformers from Edcor, Cinemag, and Lundahl and I think I'm going to jump and mod it with a Edcor RMX1 transformer

So I'll post back for sure with how I felt it all went with the mod

to be continued...

• Members

Transformers come in many shapes and sizes. If I were to guess the transformer in an MXL is a PCB mounted transformer. I'd make sure they will at least physically fit on the board and in the capsule. If things like screw holes or connections don't quite align you can always hot glue or epoxy it in place if need be, but be sure its working before you do that.

I wouldn't even touch the ribbon unless its bad and even then replacing it really requires some careful surgery. Aluminum is aluminum. If the thickness is the same then there nothing going to be gained by replacing it. Transformers on the other hand can make a difference on the high and low end frequency responses, just like different winds on a guitar pickup can produce different frequency responses.

Just be sure the mic does indeed have a transformer that's replicable. Unless you give it a look, there's no telling what you might find in an import. Companies like Jensen do make the best impedance matching transformers but they aren't cheap and you have to know what the impedance and ratios to get the right one.

Yeah that's what I thinking too, I mean I'll make sure it isn't loose and all that or torn, ribbon wise, I hear the stock model ribbons sometimes come right out of the box with problems, so I should test it right away

but transformer wise, I've read a lot of articles and listened to a lot of before and afters involving transformers from Edcor, Cinemag, and Lundahl and I think I'm going to jump and mod it with a Edcor RMX1 transformer

So I'll post back for sure with how I felt it all went with the mod

to be continued...

:snax:

By the way, there is a thread over on Gearslutz where people were discussing transformer mods to their MXL R144's... you may have already seen it, but if not, you might want to have a look and see if there are any tips that you find useful.

Please do let us know what you think once you get the mods done. If you haven't already started on them, you might want to do some recordings with the stock mic first to serve as a reference; if you re-do them after the mod with the same sources and mic placement, you can directly compare the sound of the recordings from the unmodded and modded mic. :idea::)

Archived