Mods to my craigslists Epiphone Wildkat

Madmusicltd

• Members

How's the hum level with the plastic covers over the metal? I'd think having the metal covers would do a better job minimizing AC noise. Its the main reason they put them on guitars so when you use high gain boxes you don't get all that single coil hum.

• Members
How's the hum level with the plastic covers over the metal? I'd think having the metal covers would do a better job minimizing AC noise. Its the main reason they put them on guitars so when you use high gain boxes you don't get all that single coil hum.

No increase in hum, although the new pickups are not as hot as the epi's. I think that the vintage braided wiring helped reduce capacitance in the long wiring runs inside increasing the treble response, there is over 6 feet of wiring inside, I think the metal covers actually cause the pickups to become micro phonic, so I'm not sure why they chose metal, I assumed the chrome was for esthetics to match the Bigsby?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Nice. I think the black covers look better than chrome, some gravitas (always wanted to use that word). Now have to go dig out my old Steely Dan albums.... I do wonder how a company can put out guitar with Bigsby and not have tusq nut and roller.... seems negligent.

• Members

I didn't mind the chrome covers, they kinda reminded me of 57 Chevy bumpers.. but, I think the black covers do look more period correct..

Hard to verify if the metal or plastic covers make a difference , because I did not try the new pickups with the metal covers.

Since my recording I had to go back and really the learn the intro solo note for note.. Larry C prolly just ripped that solo as an improv on the spot? I wonder if he did work it out or what? Guitar is very stable now, I used it at my last gig, great geeter for the $$

Archived