Putting the S in H-S-H

thedudebro

• Members

Hello again dudes. I have this idea and I want to know if it'll work.

If it will, and I know exactly how to wire it then I'm going to commit to routing in the slot.

Basically I'm taking the single coil from an Ibanez S and putting it in my Carvin DC.

I'm hoping I can just install a 2 way on/off switch for this middle single coil, and put it beneath the coil-tap switches.

I also have a question about this contact wire going from beneath the pickup to the tone pot. What it's purpose?

For reference I posted the guts of the Carvin and the Ibanez, with some crude paint diagrams.

Also, if there's any additional tips you guys want to give, I'd love to hear em.

I'm doing this because I like sound of the neck pickup with the middle on strats, and I've been missing that tone.

Additionally, because this is my life-er guitar, as I'll never sell it, I want to mod the sh#t out of it.

Thanks bros, have a cold one on me

44447e8772dfe4b9fa1458ae7b394f3c.thumb.jpg.5bc290dec50d179baedf6438a200bfb9.jpg

27416b3937d81e1e3e59be03c26f3699.thumb.jpg.c8a375a0b3860672b72d6c8618b57453.jpg

924defff7243c39070c6ed9697dc6c07.thumb.jpg.214f23d62330988dc4093875dd39a70b.jpg

1caaf71edb25c371839224f86dd37176.thumb.jpg.4af68d02b3216b4c9f696de369064933.jpg

5fbca12bbce3a24687a5a826d61da833.thumb.jpg.4fb5d44c1f3fbc3b96dc36f7f80f1ca1.jpg

• Members

Ahh yes, the squealing "Bohemian Rhapsody" tone. (I know Brian May didn't use a Strat, but he mentioned using those two pickups --- out of phase --- in an appearance on Classic Albums.)

Our friend WRGKMC will be able to help more with the details, but I am thinking it may be necessary to also switch out half of the neck humbucker so that the hum can be cancelled by an even number of coils.

• Members
Ahh yes, the squealing "Bohemian Rhapsody" tone. (I know Brian May didn't use a Strat, but he mentioned using those two pickups --- out of phase --- in an appearance on Classic Albums.)

Our friend WRGKMC will be able to help more with the details, but I am thinking it may be necessary to also switch out half of the neck humbucker so that the hum can be cancelled by an even number of coils.

I think I know what you mean, I eagerly await instruction. I'm hoping it'll go without too much hum, I know the thing isn't noiseless haha.

• Members

The black wire looks like a ground wire to me. Get a meter and test the leads. You should have about 5K or so in the two wires for the single coil. If the two coil wires are single wires then you have to figure out which wire needs to be hot so the single coil in phase with the humbuckers, Its a 50/50 guess. Usually the darker wire is ground, but it depends on the phase of the humbuckers. The second wire goes to ground with that black ground wire. I'm guessing the two coil wires are singles (and not one wire and one shielded) this allows series parallel wiring so you don't get hum (or in this case you can reverse the wires and have reverse phase)

Normally your hot wire goes to the inside of the coil near the magnets and the ground goes to the outer wraps. Then you'd choose a north or south pole magnet to match the other pups. In a three single coil pickup arrangement, the center pup is reverse wound and has a reverse magnet for hum cancellation. Fender pups have no shield so you can reverse them but you get more hum with the hot wore on the outside of the coil. If both wires are shielded with an independent shield casing then you can pretty much use either wire in a series config.

So what this boils down to is, you have a 50 560 shot on getting the coil polarity right with your humbuckers. The black looks like a ground. Connect it to the ground side with the ground coil wire. If you get a hollow tone when you select it with the humbuckers, then just reverse the hot and cold signal wires (if they are two single wires) but keep the black wire connected to ground. It may just be a pickup casing ground, but without a good pic or meter readings its hard to know for sure. The connector on it looks like it screwed to a metal control plate which is ground. You can just solder it to a pot can which are all grounded. .

Archived