Wiring Help - four out of five positions work, one doesn't

Labtec30

• Members

I’m new to wiring/mods - this is my fourth mod job but my first with coil splitting.

I have an Ibanez RX170. The existing setup was HSH with a five way switch. That offered the basic 1) neck (hum) 2) neck (hum)/middle 3) middle 4) bridge (hum)/middle 5) bridge (hum) set-up.

I added two DPDT on/on/on switches and replaced each humbucker with a four-wire version and kept the single coil. I wired this up to get the same 5-way set-up but with the option to use north single/hum/south single on each humbucker.

Here is my problem – every position works as intended except position 2. Position 2 gives me a very thin, nasally sound, that is “far away” compared to the other positions. This goes beyond the thin/steely sound of a single coil bridge pick-up. It does the same thing under high gain, in fact it’s worse.

At first I thought it was a bad solder joint so I re-soldered all the contacts on the related DPDT switch and five-way switch - nothing. Then I thought maybe the five-way switch was fried so I re-wired using the second position on the opposite pole. Still nothing.

Position one works fine - I get all three tones on the humbucker. I have the same exact wiring on the bridge humbucker in position 4 and it’s perfect. I get all three options on the bridge humbucker with the middle single coil.

Independently all pick-ups work - it’s only when I combine neck/middle that it goes haywire.

What am I missing? Any thoughts? I am about to buy a new five-way switch but I don’t think that’s the problem (worked before I took it apart).

• Members

Ok - thanks. I thought maybe the phase was the problem but I don't really understand how that works so wasn't able to trouble shoot it.

I just want to clarify what you mean by signal wires. I have green, black, red, and white wires. The red and the white were tied together when I bought the pickup so I assumed these were the finish wires for each coil, which ended up working out, so I'm assuming you want me to switch the green and black wires, right?

Archived