DS1 mod problems (Monte Allums Roxx mod) ?

donking2010

• Members

I've been modding my Boss DS1 pedal with the Monte Allums Roxx mod. I'm at the very end of it replacing two diodes with a switch that goes between diodes and LED. When I turn on the pedal now all I get is some breaking up signal. And when I turn off the pedal I get no signal coming through at all.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in a direction of how to test, with a multimeter, the switch, wiring, diodes, LED to see what I have done wrong.

I'm a total newbie to modding and am now having to learn trouble shooting with it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

For anyone that is interested. I figured out the issue. I went to my local guitar store and the tech there helped me out by showing me a couple of trouble shooting things to do. One that worked very well what I rubbed my finger around the solders and came across a solder that was intermittent... (which was my issue) I simple re-soldered that component (R35 the LED resister in this case) and now everything works great!

• Members

Yea, soldering is an art form. It takes a while using the right technique to solder properly. The key is to tin the iron tip, then heat both metal contacts at the same time to being them both up in temp hot enough to melt solder. "Then" you add solder and it flows like water and bonds to the two metals. If you apply solder too soon you have a cold solder joint.

Sometimes a cold solder joint may work for a period of time because solder is a metal and it is in contact with another metal. But the lead in solder oxidizes quickly and develops a non conductive skin. If the solder didn't bond to the contacts then it allows air into the joint, oxidation occurs and it will fails. Trapped solder resin does the same thing and can act as an insulator. When the metals are hot, the resin cleans the joint of oxidation and oils so you don't have it trapped below the solder.

Archived