DigiTech RP355 Power Supply

isaac42

• Moderators

No response to this in the FX forum.

Guitarist says the power supply is going out on his RP355. Calls for 9vac. I have a 12vac supply available, but I wonder if that would be safe. I have used 12VDC supplies on 9VDC units in the past, knowing that solid state electronics have a bit of tolerance for supply voltage. But that was my choice, on my gear. 33% voltage increase might be too much for his pedal. Does anyone know if 12vac would work or not?

• Members

The right ones only $11 here. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hqrp-ac-adapter-power-supply-cord-for-digitech-rp255-rp350-rp300a/247726310.html?listingId=270750498&scid=pla_google_HQRP&adid=18165&gclid=CLXb4ez3wb4CFUMF7Aod6VUAJQ

Why take a chance on blowing the bridge rectifier diodes or overloading the filter caps. 12V is only three volts more but I found its the current rating that the most important item. Even between different 9v supplies you can go from weak operation to a bad hum if the current rating isn't correct. I personally wouldn't complicate the matter.

By the way, I have fixed old wall warts before, either replacing the jack or cracking one open to fix the open wire right where it meets the unit.

• Moderators

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with his PS. I think it's his cord. But he asked me, so I thought I'd throw it out there. And I'm not taking any risks. It's his unit, and he'd be making any decisions on the matter.

Archived