Component placement in tube amp

• Members

I'm putting together a JTM45 and the large caps are mounted on the side of the chasis under the power transformer. Due to the placement, one of the caps is touching the bottom of the power transformer. Is this going to cause a problem with heating or anything else? The chasis and power transformer are from Triode Electronics, so I'd imagine they wouldn't still be selling kits that had these types of problems if it was one, but I wanted to run it by the very large, sexy brains of this forum. 

Thank you for your help!

• Members

Questionable. Theres no problem with heat but a Power Transformer can emit AC magnetic waves, the very thing a cap is supposed to eliminate. This could induve ac noise in the DC power supply. This is one reason why they usually mount the Transformers on top the tha chassis and have all your DC wires and components needing shielding inside the chassis. Power caps are often installed like tubes are from the top like tubes are or placed under a metal cover on their sides like Fender amps.

In most designs theres a reason why ac components have their own little area. Its easire to troubleshoot and to isolate any AC hum from those noise maker components. If the chassis is between the cap and transformer you should be OK, I just cant say for sure because its one of those things I would want to avoid.

Planning a build on paper is an important key to success. The inventors of the different amp types learned this when they built prototypes and found ways to avoid problems like heat noise and even oscillations that can occur. Your better amps have good component placement for the tight space utilization and wires a tight against the frames to keep them shielded.  

Hopefully you wont have to backpedal if you do have unwanted hum issues. Heat shouldnt be a big problem, at least in the short term. Over long term it may excellerate caps drying out but that can take years especially with the newer caps made with better components.

• Members

Thanks for the reply! With the new forum thing, I haven't been able to check it until now. I haven't heard too many bad things about the Triode stuff, so I'd imagine they'd have the kinks wired out by now. Although the chassis had incorrectly sized drill holes, but they remedied that very quickly.

• 1 month later...

Archived