Best fuzz to build?

• Members

Just posted it in the effects forum, my bad, this is new! (just copyed and pasted, if someone up there wants to delete the effects trend, do so)

I've built a few pedals, boosters compressors and a ts. Looking to do a fuzz here. Something kinda simple, something thick and wolly. I have a b box, and tb switch. A good electronics store in town. What should I build? Fuzz face and big muff are the most likely, any others i'm leaving out? I play an sg through a peavey classic 50 and vtm 60. I know both of those boxes were made famous by single coil players, is there a better fuzz for humbuckers? Something that doesn't kill my mids?

(just copyed and pasted, if someone up there wants to delete the effects trend, do so)

Done. :)

Again, check out the BYOC pages. I think they may still sell raw boards. Instructions are online and can be downloaded even if you don't purchase a kit. But their kits are very nice - good parts, complete and very reasonably priced IMO.

I built the FF, but they also have a tonebender clone available.

• Members

Thanks man, I've done the byoc ts808, the boards are the best. I'm just looking for a simple fuzz I can put together myself. I've got the muff fuzz schematics, and looks very simple, but not very versital (one knob). I've been looking around, and this whisker bisket looks cool:

http://www.runoffgroove.com/whisker.html

Simple, cheap, could pick up the parts tomorow and have it done in 3 to 5 hours. The clips on the page are pretty cool, I really liked the 4th one. Anyone have any experence with one of these?

No, I've never built or heard that one, but it looks like a pretty easy circuit... you could probably breadboard it and then if it sounds good to you, finish it up and put it in an enclosure. You'd still have to buy the parts though, and would be out their cost if you didn't like it.... although you might be able to use some of them on something else later.

Hopefully you'll get some more circuit suggestions soon. It's a brand new forum - just launched today, so they're just moving in. ;):D

• Members

I should have the parts in a few days for the whisker biscuit, I'll def. post pics and clips when I'm done with it.

Also, I would recommend the "multiface" from runoffgroove too and buy a bunch of different caps and transistors to try in the sockets.

I built one and I liked it a lot more than the $100 fuzz I had before.

• Members

here's a clip of my multiface. I don't recall right away what the caps I put in are but I know the transistors are Q1 5088 and Q2 J201

in the clip I never turn the pedal off and I tried to show how nicely the pedal cleans up. Sorry for the horrible playing! :thu:

Archived