Ground Lift Switch

Boltino

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a splitter box to split the TRS signal from my Parker to two TS signals (magnetic pickup signal and piezo pickup signal). I'd like to install a ground lift switch, but I'm not quite sure how to wire it up. The other boxes I've made had each jack grounded to the box. I'm thinking that I should isolate the jacks from the box, run all the grounds to a switch, then ground the "on" side of the switch to the box. Is this right or am I way off? I could also use a recommendation on what kind of switch to get (I think all I need is a single slider switch, but I'm not sure). Thanks in advance for your help.

Wes

• Members

yup you're on the right track. get plastic 1/4" jacks that isolate the jack sleeve from the box, ground everything via wires instead of the box.

then just put in a mini toggle SPST switch on the ground wires of both outputs. it's easier to have a switch on each output ground, that way you can just flick a switch to get rid of the hum on one side, as it may be on a different side for different amps/settings/shows etc.

you could just do one side and if it hums still just flip the cables around. but hey, might as well spend the extra $2 and get 2 switches.

edit: oh, and you ground the enclosure with the input, you can use a metal TRS input jack. as long as each output is isolated and has a SPST ground lift switch.

• Members

Originally posted by TweedBassman

yup you're on the right track. get plastic 1/4" jacks that isolate the jack sleeve from the box, ground everything via wires instead of the box.

then just put in a mini toggle SPST switch on the ground wires of both outputs. it's easier to have a switch on each output ground, that way you can just flick a switch to get rid of the hum on one side, as it may be on a different side for different amps/settings/shows etc.

you could just do one side and if it hums still just flip the cables around. but hey, might as well spend the extra $2 and get 2 switches.

edit: oh, and you ground the enclosure with the input, you can use a metal TRS input jack. as long as each output is isolated and has a SPST ground lift switch.

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate your explanation. I'll definitely use the two switch method, that makes a lot of sense.

Is there a way to use metal jacks and keep them isolated from the enclosure? I've had bad luck with plastic jacks in the past and I'm trying to make this thing bulletproof. Thanks!

Wes

• Members

nope, no way to easily isolate the ground using metal jacks when splitting a TRS into two TS's. you could maybe use metal TRS jacks on the two outputs, and only use the tip and ring (ring for ground) but if the two amps are the hum/ground problem, that's not going to fix it.

with the plastic jacks, just use a low watt iron and maybe a heatsink of some sort. they're a pain but the easiest option for this type of thing.

• Members

Originally posted by TweedBassman

nope, no way to easily isolate the ground using metal jacks when splitting a TRS into two TS's. you could maybe use metal TRS jacks on the two outputs, and only use the tip and ring (ring for ground) but if the two amps are the hum/ground problem, that's not going to fix it.

with the plastic jacks, just use a low watt iron and maybe a heatsink of some sort. they're a pain but the easiest option for this type of thing.

Cool, I understand. Thanks again!

Wes

Archived