Behlen master gel? anyone use it?

Tubeheadz

• Members

I've had good results using transtint dye under poly/oil finishes before. Although I have never specifically used the Behlen product. Looking at the MSDS it appears to consist of petroleum solvents and hydrogenated castor oil (probably used as a plasticizer.)

The transtints usually are not solubilized by petroleum based solvents to any great extent so you should be ok. But as always, tests with a piece of scrap are best.

I have never had great luck using any type of stain (either dye, or especially pigment based) on alder - the top ends up blotchy and the end grain always acts like a sponge. That wood either gets a straight oil finish or opaque paint in my book.

Best wishes.:thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes to Master Gel.

I refinished my strat neck with it.

It's very easy to use and is a much better finish that the one applied by my guitar builder which was a water based finish.

The water based finish was to soft, easily became sticky, needed tons of maintenace to make it feel even bearable.

The mater gel finish has been on here for a year and a quick wipe with a wet rag is all I've ever needed to do to clean it.

If you want to do mutiple coats get some very very light steel wool.

Also, if you can get it in anything other than the can, possibly a plastic bottle, I'd recommend the plastic container other than the can because I needed a pipe wrench to get the lid off the metal can the second time I had to open it.

Also, latex gloves also make it much easier on hand the clean up.

• Members

I've had good results using transtint dye under poly/oil finishes before. ...

I have never had great luck using any type of stain (either dye, or especially pigment based) on alder - the top ends up blotchy and the end grain always acts like a sponge. That wood either gets a straight oil finish or opaque paint in my book.

Best wishes.
:thu:

Did you use a conditioner before using the stain on the alder?

I've been successful even with pine by using a sealer first, then the dye.

Just askin'...

• Members

I've never tried the commercial pre-stain conditioners, just a washcoat of very thin cut shellac. Which helped, but was still far from perfect.

Thanks for the tip though, next time I'll try the store bought stuff.:thu:

Archived