Hemp oil for cleaning fret boards? Is this a good idea?

mgcasella

• Members

Hello,

Hello. :)

A few questions:

1. Has anyone tried this?

I've 'spotted' it using knives a few times.

2. Does anyone know if this stuff would be better to use than the standard lemon oil or would it be the same?

Lemon oil smells better.

3. Is this worth experimenting with?

Only if you don't get caught.

;)

Seriously, though. It probably does a nice enough job, but my bet is on it being a bit gimmicky and other (probably cheaper) products doing just as well, if not better. My advice is to smoke the hemp, and stick with the fresh lemony goodness for your geetar. :thu:

• Members

Doesn't oil act as a vibration damper?Something you don't want on a vibrating instrument,IMO.

Lemon oil (which is mostly naptha) or Danish oil can be useful for removing grime from a fretboard. Unfortunately, people go overboard with it. The best way is to put a few drops on your cleaning cloth rather than applying it directly to the wood. Soaking a fretboard is a bad idea. I don't know about being a vibration damper but it can swell the wood and potentially compromise the glue between the fretboard & neck. I know one luthier who won't touch a guitar that has been treated this way.

My fretboards get plenty of "conditioning" from the oil on my hands. I keep them wiped down so they don't build up dirt. I haven't used any product on my fretboards in years & they are fine.

• Members

I used to have this crazy system (that was borrowed from a "pro" guitar tech) which included cleaning the fretboard with window cleaner w/ ammonia, then applying a very small amount of vaseline on a rag and working into the wood. This was years ago when I was like 16-17 or so. It worked fine, looked nice when I was done, but one day I was just like "Why"?

I now use only a slightly damp rag. Looks just as good and I'm not putting any chemicals on my guitar. Really if you just clean regularly, and maybe wash your hands before picking your guitar up (which I don't even do a lot of the time) you'll be fine with just water.

• Members

i have never tried it, but i personally would not want my guitar neck to smell like bong water. i have heard of people using pledge. i usually use finger ease on my fretboard. cleans it, brings back the wood grain and makes it as slick as my exgirlfriend.:thu:

• Members

I have been useing hemp oil for abiut 10 years,the trick is to use a small amount AFTER cleaning with a mild cleaner{I use dawn on a lukewarm rag}I have had very good luck with this procedure.You can find the hemp oil at Bath and Beyond.{its used as a skin conditioner}:idea:

Archived