building a mic splitter

krafty888

• Members

Greetings. I am in need of a 24 channel mic splitter and think I'll build it myself. I have a few questions. There are two major designs of mic splitters that I know of, active and transformer based. What I have read to date is that a simple transformer based mic splitter can induce phase distortion and can alter the frequency response of the mic, as well as cause or more rightly put, not fix impeadance mismatching problems.

Can anybody comment or suggest whcih way to go?

Also, I will be seeking the parts and plans for this so if anybody knows where I can find circuit diagrams for both active and passive mic splitters - a link would be most appreciated. And of course I will need a load of XLR jacks, both male and female - so if there are any leads on good quality XLR jacks at a good price, point the way.

Thanks a lot.

• Members

Greetings. I am in need of a 24 channel mic splitter and think I'll build it myself. I have a few questions. There are two major designs of mic splitters that I know of, active and transformer based. What I have read to date is that a simple transformer based mic splitter can induce phase distortion and can alter the frequency response of the mic, as well as cause or more rightly put, not fix impeadance mismatching problems.

Can anybody comment or suggest whcih way to go?

Also, I will be seeking the parts and plans for this so if anybody knows where I can find circuit diagrams for both active and passive mic splitters - a link would be most appreciated. And of course I will need a load of XLR jacks, both male and female - so if there are any leads on good quality XLR jacks at a good price, point the way.

Thanks a lot.

Look on the jensen transformer website, where they have several diagrams. What is the application? Is it an install? You can split a mic passively without a transformer if you're trying to save dough, although phantom power and noise can become issues. Impedance mismatch will probably not be a problem if you are only doing a two-way split. Even if you do a transformer based-split, you will still have an impedence problem if you're trying to split to many ways... Hope that helped.

• Members

The use is to do live recording gigs where a PA and mics are already being provided and I split the mics just two ways, one going to FOH and the other into my recording rig.

Do you still think that passive will do?

• Members

The use is to do live recording gigs where a PA and mics are already being provided and I split the mics just two ways, one going to FOH and the other into my recording rig.

Do you still think that passive will do?

Yes, you should be just fine if you pay attention to your power scheme and let one console handle the phantom power... Most splits are done passively. A transformer split is still a passive scheme, too, btw.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hello Krafty

You can split microphones using good quality passive transformers.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/mic_sp.html

Go to the above website.

I have used passive splitters and have had great success without any problems.

The Jensen transformers use an extra sheild around the transformer (White Lead) which in turn elimnates frequency loss to a great degree.

Be sure that you connect the direct output to where your phantom power comes from to power your condensor mics.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Archived