sound clips -DIY green ringer / tycobrahe octavia / axis fuzz / rangemaster and more!

hellwood

• Members

OH {censored}!......wasted plenty O' my life (and brain cells) @ the Malibu Inn during the "metal years"... my singers' GF was manager, and between her and the owners, place was like our living room. Free draft beer and burgers. Great patio deck as well.

• Members

Those sound awesome! Did you use kits, pre-done PCB's, or build them from scratch?

thanks! they are made from scratch, on perf board, including the enclosures.

i test several transistors and bias basically doing whatever RG suggests... except 95% of the time i use germaniums for the PNP's. if you want any info regarding schematics, i can tell you exactly which ones i used and what transistors/values/voltages worked the best to my ear. thanks again!

• Members

Any tips on perfboard layout from schematics?

actually, when its a simple circuit like a fuzz face i do take the time and make my own layout, but when there are 35 components, i pretty much lay it out on the breadboard just like the schematics are my floor plan. after breadboarding, i just place all of the components into the perf board and let all of the leads hang all over the place.(i always start at the input and battery supply and work my way towards the output. for example, i would have the + or - supply across the top. usually the input from the jack and the base of the first transistor and wherever that goes all down the center, and all of the grounds go across the bottom and the 3 rows all meet in the middle at the output when you are finished). sometimes you will have a cap on top that needs to be grounded, so i have to make it stretch to the bottom where i ground everything. at first its a little confusing to flip over the board and concentrate on what the mirror image would look like, but i swear after 1 or 2, it gets easier. then i bend all of the leads to where they need to be and cut them to length and at times when a row of like ten components all need to connect i cut all the leads short except one that will connect the entire row.

if you compare these pics to the schematic you will see what im talking about. i hope this helps?

• Members

OH {censored}!......wasted plenty O' my life (and brain cells) @ the Malibu Inn during the "metal years"... my singers' GF was manager, and between her and the owners, place was like our living room. Free draft beer and burgers. Great patio deck as well.

was Abdul the owner at that time? he was cool! check my footage from '95

http://www.theharshcarpets.com/downloads.htm

and what band were you in and who was your singers GF?

• 6 years later...

Archived