X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best motherboard for audio recording

Hello everyone, I am in the process of picking out the items I will need for building a pc dedicated to audio recording. I'm certainly not rich but I'm looking for pro results!! My first question would be: what motherboard/processor would be best suited? I've been looking and it seems that a lot of what is available inlude integraded audio or video. I feel like this is something I would regret, given all of the things that could happen. Any one have any ideas?Plenty of speed and mucho PCI slots would be great too.

personally ive always used AMD's myself and found great performence.

as for MB's your BEST bet is to go to AMD.com and look at their recommended mb list, personally i always get the BEST #'s out of ASUS
    <div class="signaturecontainer">FrankenTele - HUM in the Bridge, Lipstick in the Mid Dream 180 at the neck - Bigsby - Thinline<br />
    Peavey Generation EXP w/ Piezo in the bridge<br />
    Peavey JF1 - es335 clone<br />
    Agile 2000 Holdtop / twin P90's<br />
    Jay Turser White JT140 colonel<br />
    Roland S550<br />
    Behringer 8 channel mixer<br />
    Roland MA - 8 Active Monitors<br />
    AMD X2 5600 Powered Linux Work Station<br />
    Korg K61</div>

Comment

You can still add a "proper" sound card to a motherboard with integrated audio/video so don't worry about that regard. In 99% this will disable the integrated audio, but that's no great loss.

No motherboard will be pro-quality audio, you'll need to add an external unit

Comment

You can check this forum out also ( www.bigbluelounge.com ). There's some good info over there about external audio solutions. I would agree with el tonto, that no motherboard will have pro-quality audio. Granted that things always improve and you could still use integrated audio in a pinch. The main reason for getting an external is for ( improved signal quality, flatter frequency response, higher quality internal pre-amps, low latancy ) + all the other bells and whistles. If you really need to go budget you risk loosing "true fidelity". But I've recorded venues with nothing more than a Griffen iMic, Art phantom pre-amp, and a Rode NT2/Rode NT3. The results were actually pretty good.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Guitars: <br />
        1996 MIA Fender Lonestar Strat 3TS : 2006 Agile AL-3000map Cherry Sunburst : 200? Agile AS-820 Black/Chrome B-stock : 2008 Agile AS-1000 Black Cherry<br />
        Effects: Beaten up Digitech RP-6 (GAS for Vox tonelab LE) : Behringer TO800, RV600<br />
        Bass: OLP MusicMan, 4 string, Black<br />
        Amp: 1965 Ampeg Rocket II, all original : 2008 Pignose G40V, 6L6, 12ax7<br />
        Mic: Rode NT2, Behringer C2 pair<br />
        Recording: Tascam DA-P1 DAT: MacBook Pro, Griffin iMic, Garage Band</div>

Comment

Yes it's real.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aopenax4btube/

I don't think they make it anymore tho.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Peavey Patriot<br />
          Warwick RB Fortress 5 String<br />
          Peavey Mark IV Bass 400<br />
          <br />
          Rocktron Piranha<br />
          Rocktron Pro-Gap Ultra FS/T<br />
          Rocktron Velocity 300</div>

Comment