What kind of glue for tolex(ing)?

Robert Rowe

• Members

I have several old amps and cabs that have been long-neglected. I am seeing the values of these go up-and-up. It is high time I get involved with refurbishing.

I re-tolexed a Fender Showman cabinet for a bandmate many years ago, and it came out pretty well. I used regular carpenter's wood glue (the yellowish stuff), thinnned with water ... to a consistency where it was easy to apply with a paint brush.

This time, I wish to use something (??) that is not permanent. In-other-words, I would like the bond to be perfect, but able to be undone again in the future. Sorta like hide-glue used in guitar assembly and repair.

BTW -- What is the easiest way to remove the old tolex?

• Members

I have several old amps and cabs that have been long-neglected. I am seeing the values of these go up-and-up. It is high time I get involved with refurbishing.

I re-tolexed a Fender Showman cabinet for a bandmate many years ago, and it came out pretty well. I used regular carpenter's wood glue (the yellowish stuff), thinnned with water ... to a consistency where it was easy to apply with a paint brush.

This time, I wish to use something (??) that is not permanent. In-other-words, I would like the bond to be perfect, but able to be undone again in the future. Sorta like hide-glue used in guitar assembly and repair.

BTW -- What is the easiest way to remove the old tolex?

The best way to remove the old Tolex is usually to get a grip on it someplace with pliars or visegrips and just pull it off, it sometimes helps to use a scraper to encourage it. Some people have used heat to loosen it up, but the effectiveness depends a lot on the original glue. Use a sander to remove the remaining glue residue.

There is some info on glue and application in the two text files at this link.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/casey4s/lst?.dir=/Basic+Turret+Board+Construction&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

• Members

Thank you so much! (both of you)

Casey ... that is some project you undertook (the walnut-cabbed Princeton).

A few more questions --

What are good sources for Tolex ? How about cane / wicker / etc., grille-materials?

How about the Naugahyde as used by the early Kustom (by Ross) amplifiers?

I knew a guy from Long Island (since moved to The South?) that re-covered several Kustom amps and PA columns. He sourced the Nuaga (where?), acquired an old commercial sewing / stitching machine ... and proceeded (bravely) to learn (as he went along) to do the rolls and pleats. He put a lot of time in, but the results were spectacular. He informed me that there are some newer (other) colors of the sparkle Naugahyde that were not available at the time of the original Kustoms (late 1960s / early 1970s), like pink-champagne sparkle.

Suggestions?

• Members

Thank you so much! (both of you)

Casey ... that is some project you undertook (the walnut-cabbed Princeton).

A few more questions --

What are good sources for Tolex ? How about cane / wicker / etc., grille-materials?

How about the Naugahyde as used by the early Kustom (by Ross) amplifiers?

I knew a guy from Long Island (since moved to The South?) that re-covered several Kustom amps and PA columns. He sourced the Nuaga (where?), acquired an old commercial sewing / stitching machine ... and proceeded (bravely) to learn (as he went along) to do the rolls and pleats. He put a lot of time in, but the results were spectacular. He informed me that there are some newer (other) colors of the sparkle Naugahyde that were not available at the time of the original Kustoms (late 1960s / early 1970s), like pink-champagne sparkle.

Suggestions?

I have a Walnut 5F6A Bassman too with 4x6V6 power tubes.

The best place currently to buy Tolex and similar coverings is MoJo at http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/products.asp?id=45012

They have a great selection and very fair prices.

MoJo also has grille material at a fair price and they have cabinet hardware if you need any.

For the Cane that I used in my Walnut Princeton contact "Country Seat" at

http://catalog.countryseat.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=995

price is .58 per inch.

As far as the Kustom material goes, that is metalflake naugahyde. I don't know if it is available with the "Rolls" pre-installed, but you can find that at upholstery shops it is (or was) used in power boat interiors.

• Members

Thank you, Casey, for the information.

Nice to know there are fine folks like yourself, that help us "D.I.Y.'ers" tackle these projects.

Also ... that Bassman with the 6V6-quartet ... that's unusual. Tell us more. I thought I had one of the more unique amplifiers, with that tube-complement as stardard equipment ... the Jim Kelley F.A.C.S. As far as I know, that configuration is extremely rare. Also, marvelous tone / sound.

• Members

Thank you, Casey, for the information.

Nice to know there are fine folks like yourself,
that help us "D.I.Y.'ers" tackle these projects.

Also ... that Bassman with the 6V6-quartet ... that's unusual. Tell us more. I thought I had one of the more unique amplifiers, with that tube-complement as stardard equipment ... the Jim Kelley F.A.C.S. As far as I know, that configuration is extremely rare. Also, marvelous tone / sound.

Don't forget I am a DIY guy myself... I learn stuff on this fourm too.

My Bassman, http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/Casey4s/DIY%205F6A%20Bassman%204%20Valve/

I built this one in 1998, there were virtually no kits available then like there is now so it was a lot of DIY expierimentation an problem solving. I wasn't rolling my own chassis back then so the Hammond box is a little on the large side.

• Members

As far as the Kustom material goes, that is metalflake naugahyde. I don't know if it is available with the "Rolls" pre-installed, but you can find that at upholstery shops it is (or was) used in power boat interiors.

Start haunting old car (before 1961) lists, check Hemmings motor news, or try and find a car reupholster place where you live. Tuck and Roll, Diamond tuft and the other snazzy coverings for an amp came from cars in the 40s and 50s. You might get some good ideas and lessons from those guys.

• Members

I actually used to work at a car upholstery shop prior to having surgery. I would only recommend using wellwood contact cement its prob the best for the money and its the only adheasive we would choose. Its incredibly strong and will make the job go very smoothly, without having to worry about having to redo a spot not adhearing/bubbling.

Probably the easiest way to get the old vinyl off, would be to start with an open end. Then grab a steamer and aim the nozzle under the vinyl, slowly the heat/steam will penetrate the old glue and the vinyl will release off the surface. making it less of a hassle to pull off...then sand it all down, if you have access to a spray gun itll help, spray the contact cement/paint it onto the piece your covering (dont drench it) and then you can use a heat gun to soften up the vinyl and stretch it tight around the amp, while you slowly work it around... :thu:

its not hard at all, but if your too overwelmed, dont have the time, or affraid. seeing that you live in NY you can always bring it to my old shop phoenix interiors in franklin square. theyre great guys, and have tons of materials to chose from and even have crazy exotic stuff from snakeskin to stingray :lol: good luck with the job and pm me if you need any other help :thu:

Archived