Point a total n00b in the right direction...

Sonno

• Members

I made a New Years resolution... THIS year I'm going to learn how all this guitar audio electronics stuff works and build my own rig. I figure 12 months should be enough time to do all that, and if not... well; I'll keep going 'til I'm finished. I know absolutely 0 about electronics, sound and acoustic theory, tube amp design and building, or effects design and building. But I'm going to learn.

So... where should I start? I've been reading through different web sites and stuff and can't quite seem to find the information I'm looking for. Are there any good books you all can recommend digging into? I don't want to know just the "what"; I want to learn the "how" and "why" as well.

Ultimately, I'll be looking to build:

a Stereo 100w Tube Power Amp (200w total, 100w per channel)

a Tube Pre Amp

2 4x12 Speaker Cabinets

and a whole lot of Effects.

Yes I know I could probably save a lot of money buying this stuff already built; but I want to build "exactly" what I want and not have to compromise. That and I really want to learn how all this stuff works. So where should I go from here?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure this will be the first of many posts over the next year or so!

• Members

I would recommend doing a LOT of reading, and experimenting with effects pedals and electronics powered by 9v batteries before you dive into the stuff that could potentially kill you.

yes, guitar pedals are one thing, you start messing with amps, you may end up dead. Do you know basic electronics at all? Ressistor color codes? ohms law? Hi voltage safety?

• Members

yes, guitar pedals are one thing, you start messing with amps, you may end up dead. Do you know basic electronics at all? Ressistor color codes? ohms law? Hi voltage safety?

Nada. But I'm learning...

• Members

Classic text, from basic principles up to "I don't care, I'm not building seismographs". Not current, but this is irrelevant, as the principles haven't changed, and most musical electronics is antique stuff anyways (except the DSP, but you're not planning on building that, are you?)

a bit more of a reference than a beginner's text, but it's THE desert-island electronics book, and you will be learning from it ten years on if you are still doing electronics

http://frank.harvard.edu/aoe/index.html

here's a review

http://mightyohm.com/blog/2008/12/horowitz-and-hill-the-art-of-electronics/

Archived