DIY Guitar Rack

musicdog400

• Members

I decided I needed a guitar rack. I saw a little tube job at GC but it looked kinda flimsy. I thought, I can build something way flimsier than that, and for less money ! So I cobbled together some 2x2s a 2x4 and some plywood.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy ! -Red Green

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

• Members

Is it slanted slightly toward the rear to keep the guitars from falling out?

You are correct sir.

What are the two guitars on the left? For slide?

Not for slide. They are ten string tapping guitars, kinda like a Chapman Stick®.

The first one is just a 2x4 I put strings on.

you could prob lay 2 small pieces of wood

Yes that is probably a good idea. When I tried it out last night, the guitars are turning a little. I will probably stain it, maybe put some dividers on the bottom, add some rubber mat, and some felt on the top piece to protect the necks.

• Members

You can go to the local fabric store & get some velveteen material. This is what I used re-upholster the inside of a guitar case. Put that on with some staples where the guitars come in contact & you're set. A little black paint on the staples & it's all good. I'll try to post some pics of a homemade one guitar stand I made of scrap plywood.

• Members

you should call your Jazz bass Marilyn Munster.

Ha. Thanks. Those are my demented children. Prototypes of things I thought it would be cool to have. I like headless and fanned fret and almost no one makes those together, so I guess I have to make them. If I could buy them they would for sure be north of $3k. It used to cost me $1200 to build them but my most recent one came in under $500.

Archived