DIYers Pedal board build. Need input on an pedal mounting issue

john l

• Members

Didnt want to double post so go here.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2561513

Right now everything is just velcro'd invisibly, but Im looking for a sturdy yet visually pleasing way of mounting pedals. A few people have asked me to make them hardwood boards now and Im trying to figure this out before I start anything for anyone.

• Members

You should get the screw tabs. They go at each corner on the enclosure where the screws are, and have extra that you screw into the board. Very low profile.

In the thread I refered to those as the as "the bike chain link things" I dont want to have screw holes in the wood if I decide I want to change things around so whatever I do has to be non destructive and movable.

I mean if theres no magic solution then Ill just stick with velcro as it can be removed without marring the surface of the board, but I thought that bounce this off a few of you guys as I overlook the simple things sometimes.

• Members

If holes in the board aren't an option I see no other way but velcro. Unless you want to get some of that veltex fabric. Or bring some velcro to Lowe's and find some carpet that velcro adheres to.

I guess I did violate the "never start a project without all the hardware" rule here. Permanant holes in the board are an option but only if their fastening something thats staying for good, like the pedal strip idea in the thread.

As far as magnets go, there are some really inconspicuous and strong rare earth magnents that they use for box lids at Woodcraft by me but in all honesty I have no idea how that will react with pedal guts soo.....

• Members

I just carpet my boards then I just apply velcro to the pedals like I did for my current studio board. I used to use eyelets and screw them down and have also used screws coming from the botton into the pedal. Those methods are a pain th the ass though.

• Members

The magnet idea is interesting. I don't have a clue as to the reaction with the pedals, but it may not be a problem. Maybe use a sheet of thin, ferrous metal for the top of the board and the sticky back magnets on the bottom? Would that be enough grab to keep the pedals in place during transport? And the weight issue comes into play as well.

• Members

The magnet idea is interesting. I don't have a clue as to the reaction with the pedals, but it may not be a problem. Maybe use a sheet of thin, ferrous metal for the top of the board and the sticky back magnets on the bottom? Would that be enough grab to keep the pedals in place during transport? And the weight issue comes into play as well.

The magnets Im thinking of are 1/2" thick disks that I could just mortise with a forstner. Maybe epoxy the oposing ones to the corners of the pedals?

• Members

I've used velcro and the cheapest carpet I could find at Lowes; sort of rubber backed, used for hallway runners I guess. They have it on a big reel.

I've found that the longer the pedal is on the board, the more the velcro seems to bond to the carpet. I wanted to rearrange a couple pedals the other day and could barely get the sucker off of there. Pretty easy to get off at first. Don't quite know why. But I've never had any pedals come loose during transport, despite some fairly rough handling and no foam in the lid to hold them down.

For my wah and volume pedals, I cut hook velcro strips so they were as wide as the pedal, and came up even with the top of the base. Then put self stick loop strips across the top of the base and down the sides, where it would clear the guts of the pedal, eg., pivot and gear rack. Then lined up the hook side on the pedal board and stapled them on, with the hook side up. Put the pedal in place and pull the free ends up against the self stick loop strips and they're on there pretty damned tight. Staples are through the carpet, so if I move them later, they won't show (not that it matters much).

I was going to go with the chain links, but like to be able to get the pedals off quick in the event that, for some reason, I can't use my power supply and need to replace batteries in a hurry. Just paranoid maybe.

• Members

I've used velcro and the cheapest carpet I could find at Lowes; sort of rubber backed, used for hallway runners I guess. They have it on a big reel.

I've found that the longer the pedal is on the board, the more the velcro seems to bond to the carpet. I wanted to rearrange a couple pedals the other day and could barely get the sucker off of there. Pretty easy to get off at first. Don't quite know why. But I've never had any pedals come loose during transport, despite some fairly rough handling and no foam in the lid to hold them down.

For my wah and volume pedals, I cut hook velcro strips so they were as wide as the pedal, and came up even with the top of the base. Then put self stick loop strips across the top of the base and down the sides, where it would clear the guts of the pedal, eg., pivot and gear rack. Then lined up the hook side on the pedal board and stapled them on, with the hook side up. Put the pedal in place and pull the free ends up against the self stick loop strips and they're on there pretty damned tight. Staples are through the carpet, so if I move them later, they won't show (not that it matters much).

I was going to go with the chain links, but like to be able to get the pedals off quick in the event that, for some reason, I can't use my power supply and need to replace batteries in a hurry. Just paranoid maybe.

See the thing is that covering up the exotic hardwood with velcro is going the opposite direction I made the board for. I could have just done your run of the mill covered with velcro deal but I like the way wood looks and want to keep it as visable as possible

• Members

I still think sticky back velcro is the best option. I didn't read the link. What's the wood finished with? Gloss poly the velcro will stick well. And can be removed. No matter what you finish it with you run the risk of fading. Then when you rearrange things you'll see where things were.

• Members

I still think sticky back velcro is the best option. I didn't read the link. What's the wood finished with? Gloss poly the velcro will stick well. And can be removed. No matter what you finish it with you run the risk of fading. Then when you rearrange things you'll see where things were.

Its just a wiping varnish I made from Mcloskies Man O War spar varnish, thinned down with naptha enough to make it cooperate with a rag. I was shooting for a tung oil look but much more durable and UV resistant. yeah all signs are starting to say velcro just the way I have it on the pic in the thread. I just have a hard time believing that Im the only guy whos tried to address this.lol

The kind of fading your describing (enough to leave a silouette) in my experience (finish carpenter) doesnt usually occur unless it gets alot of sun so Im not really worried about that. Plus I used an exterior spar varnish that has UV agents in it.

• Members

See the thing is that covering up the exotic hardwood with velcro is going the opposite direction I made the board for. I could have just done your run of the mill covered with velcro deal but I like the way wood looks and want to keep it as visable as possible

I took a look at your board on the other thread; looks nice, I can see now why you don't want to cover it up. So, here's how I might go about solving the problem. Make a 'sub-mount' for each pedal, maybe 1/2" hardwood, cut to the size of the pedal. Put 2 short countersunk bolts through it, that will project through the slot between the rows of hardwood boards. On the opposite side, use fender washers and either nuts or plastic knobs with threaded inserts to hold it in place. Would slide sideways as needed. Fasten the pedal to the sub-mount using velcro or links. For the Digi pedal, use 2 rows of bolts, going between each row of hardwood 'planks' on the main pedal board. You could make each sub-mount out of contrasting hardwoods, varnished and slightly larger than the pedal so you could see them.

Just a thought.

• Members

I took a look at your board on the other thread; looks nice, I can see now why you don't want to cover it up. So, here's how I might go about solving the problem. Make a 'sub-mount' for each pedal, maybe 1/2" hardwood, cut to the size of the pedal. Put 2 short countersunk bolts through it, that will project through the slot between the rows of hardwood boards. On the opposite side, use fender washers and either nuts or plastic knobs with threaded inserts to hold it in place. Would slide sideways as needed. Fasten the pedal to the sub-mount using velcro or links. For the Digi pedal, use 2 rows of bolts, going between each row of hardwood 'planks' on the main pedal board. You could make each sub-mount out of contrasting hardwoods, varnished and slightly larger than the pedal so you could see them.

Just a thought.

I like that idea! I

• Members

What I did for my board was to mount a piece of expanded metal with 1/8" rubber washers to the face of the board. I then attach the pedals with mini bungi cords putting the hooks through the 1/8" gap provided by the rubber washers. Anytime I want to move my pedals, I just move the bungis to different holes in the expanded metal face. Dosn't look too bad and will last forever.

• Members

NICE! I like it. Great idea man.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Magnets: are you sure you want magnets anywhere near the signal chain? We're not talking refrigerator magnets if you want something strong enough to hold a heavy pedal in place. It could be that your cable is shielded and your effects are properly shielded but, then again, maybe not?

• Members

:rolleyes:

Why don't you make two different types of pedalboards:

One type can be pretty and you can leave it in a glass case and lovingly admire it :love:.

And the other kind you can glue carpet to, screw holes into, etc, and actually...like...use. :idea:

j/k...

sorta...

:cop:

Archived