Neck issues after re stringing

Peter M

• Members

I bought a used Epiphone for my girlfriends boy for a gift and It was working just fine when I bought it,actually really great!

I wanted to polish it before I gave it to him. There was some grub under the E,B,G strings between the pickups so I took the 3 strings off to get where I needed to comfortably. After re-stringing it the E&B strings now touch the first 3 frets on the board muting them. As far as I can tell I didn't bump anything, re-adjust anything or force anything.

what could I have done and how do I fix it? :confused:

• Members

Seems like a reasonable post to me for DIY. But dang, that's a strange issue. Barring some really strange event, such as someone having some kind of shim(s) at the nut that were supporting the strings, or some strange neck distortion occurring, that's a head scratcher.

Are you using a tuner or something to insure that guitar is pretty well tuned to "standard" pitch? If it's way below standard pitch the strings may buzz badly, and the neck may not be pulled, or bowed by the string tension like it normally would. You don't say whether you're a "guitar" person or not, but I'm guessing you don't have a lot of guitar experience. Most new guitars, and unfortunately a lot of used ones, need to be adjusted or "setup" before they play well and that may be the case here. But, that still doesn't explain the sudden change when you took the strings off.

Some other people will have some ideas about this. You'll probably get some more replies in the morning.

• Members

Thanx mike. I am a "guitar guy" but my field is acoustic.

To answer a couple of your questions... It is a used guitar but I gave it a good once over before I bought it by checking the harmonics 5th to 7th and then from 12th to 7th to be sure of intonation and it was dead on.

Played E# G# then D# and there was no variation from note to note. I did also do the fret check as I have had this problem before by playing each string on each fret going up the neck, no buzzing or muting.

I tuned it originally before cleaning it and I use a KORG chromatic tuner and like I always do, I used one of my other guitars to make sure I was in key.

This problem didn't arise until I took the E,B&G string off for cleaning.

Also, I never removed the nut because the D,A,E strings were still attached and never removed so I think we can eliminate any shims as a possibility.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated and I thank in advance :thu:

• Members

Just a thought, and I mean absolutely no insult by it, but are you 100% sure you have the strings sitting correctly in the saddle? That is about the only thing other than drastically spinning the adjustment threads of the bridge would lower your strings that much. Although it is 0400 and I am quiet sleepy so... I might read this tomorrow and shake my head...

• Members

Ok I just had a break through!

I was taking photos of the neck and bridge & My camera kept focusing on the floor so I rested the top of the neck on the amp to keep it from focusing on the floor. WELL for no good reason I strummed the high E on the fret board 1st fret,2nd fret 3rd fret and the strings were no longer muted!

I lift the guitar off the amp, there muted again. all I have to do is place my thumb against the back of the head or key stock(un sure of the name) place the slightest bit of pressure and it rings true??? wtf. I just double checked with my tuner and its tuned properly so the correct amount of tension is being aplied to the neck BUT at the same time, not enough

• Members

Sounds like you'll get this sorted out. Only thing I could add now, is that the shims I was referring to originally was to the possibility somebody had used pencil leads or such in individual slots to jack the strings on a badly cut nut. If so, they probably dropped out when the strings were removed. From your last post, I too would guess backing off the truss rod nut a tad may fix the problem.

• Members

WRGKMC. I dont know if your comment was directed at me(duplicate post delete) but just in case, I did mention on my 2nd post it was re threaded.

To everyone else Including WRGKMC. I thank you all for your help.

I changed the strings, did not help so I dug into the guitar and loosened the truss rod and it worked PERFECTLY!

My thanx and from the boy also, have a great day and keep on rocking!

• Members

?? I think he was just saying he had deleted a duplicate of his own post.

And I've been meaning to ask, what's up with that? Seems like for the last few weeks I periodically have to shut down HC completely to get the post function from doing what ever it's doing. Seems to just get locked in an infinite loop. Anybody else having that happen? Kind of a pisser if you got a long post typed.

• Members

WRGKMC. I dont know if your comment was directed at me(duplicate post delete) but just in case, I did mention on my 2nd post it was re threaded.

To everyone else Including WRGKMC. I thank you all for your help.

I changed the strings, did not help so I dug into the guitar and loosened the truss rod and it worked PERFECTLY!

My thanx and from the boy also, have a great day and keep on rocking!

HC freezes up every once an awhile when you submit a post. You hit the button a second time and no results. Then you get the schedualed maintainence message. You dont know if it posted or not. In this case it posted twice so I deleted the second one.

Archived