I want a cheap strat!

nonis

• Members

I really want a cheap cheap stratocaster... like 300 to 400 bucks. Either I'm looking for a cheap used MIJ or something or I was thinking I could DIY one.

I've only ever owned a Hamer Standard that was set up perfectly when I bought it used, so I don't know all that much about electric guitars. But I have a few questions:

How much does the body wood matter? If I buy a cheap squier for its body am I going to notice a huge difference vs. a better brand one? I don't care that much about the looks of the wood because if I repaint it I will use a solid color, I believe.

Also, is it really difficult to get a guitar set up with a new neck? Like, if I buy a mighty mite or warmoth neck is it going to be a big hassle to install it? Are they set up well from the start with the frets all level and all that crap from the start?

And do people here prefer warmoth or mighty mite or some other brand for those?

Thanks!

• Members

Well if you're kind of new to electrics, I'd slow down a little and just focus on getting the best guitar to suit your desires. For that budget I think most folks will tell say you can get a very decent sounding and playable guitar. This question comes up 2 or 3 times a week in Electric Guitars. That forum would probably be a better place to post this unless you're set on doing some DIY deal.

edit: Actually, you wouldn't even have to post, just check back through the last 2 or 3 weeks threads. The search function usually doesn't work anymore.

• Members

You can get a very decent used guitar for that amount. Untill you been playing for many years and have developed a keen ear its unlikely you can tell that much difference between qualities of of different woods. Even plywood sounds decent if it has good pickups.

Go to your local music store and start playing guitars till you find something you like and be sure the neck fits your hand which is the most important item over all others. If it doesnt fit the hand you'll never have the reach and flexibility to use it and grow to be a good musician. At best you will be badly hindered in your playing and develop bad hand postures, strain or damage muscles of the hand, have dead notes because the thing is too narrow and you cant hold down strings, or wont be able to play at high speed if its too fat and bulkey. The sound quality I would say is secondary followed by the build and cosmetics.

• Members

I agree 100% with WRG on the neck size/profile comments. I also agree when it comes to building a guitar right away. Wait until you're completely sure what you want. Then start building. Another down side to building is you'll spend more on your home builds then you will on ready made guitars. And you'll do it for fun more than anything. It's a sickness that can't be cured.

Just some advice from a severely diseased builder.

• Members

If I buy a cheap squier for its body am I going to notice a huge difference vs. a better brand one?

No, I would get an Alder bodied one if it were me.

Also, is it really difficult to get a guitar set up with a new neck? Like, if I buy a mighty mite or warmoth neck is it going to be a big hassle to install it?

It should be fine, but there are many variables, tuners, does the neck come finished, does the neck end match the pocket on the body.

And do people here prefer warmoth or mighty mite or some other brand for those?

They use them all, I think warmoth lets you choose everything custom though they have them in stock too, but higher quality means higher price. Guitarfetish.com has kits, and while they are budget type stuff, some people like them and often swap a few parts for better ones.

• Members

I have to agree with what WRG, and Tele said. So unless you have you hart set on building your own guitar. There are a ton of really good guitars out there for $300~400. I got this one on eBay for under $400 with shipping. And it

Archived