Female footswitch couplers

mattawa10

• Members

I'm trying to extend the 1/4" footswitch on my Peavey 130. When I add a female coupler to the end of the original footswitch and an extended 1/4" on the other end it doesn't activate the channel switching/reverb but if I plug the original 1/4" footswitch cable into the back of the amp...it works.

Any ideas what I need to do?

Thanks

• Members

Something's just not making contact I would guess. Is the "extended 1/4" that your referring to a standard 1/4 plug? I wouldn't think most foot switch circuits would be so sensitive that an extension would make much difference.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of running low voltage circuits through more connections than necessary. I'd probably whack the switch line and just splice in the additional length.

• Members

I'm betting your foot switch cable is TRS. Your extender or coupler is probably only TS. You need to have TRS the whole signal path.

PS.

TRS = "tip, ring, sleeve"

Good point. Is it a dual switch or single? If its a dual switch it uses a stereo jack and you need a 3 way wire as an extension with a stereo jack on one end and a stereo plug on the other properly wired.

• Members

I'd be tempted to make a new wire for your footswitch. If it is a 2 switch pedal then you have trs as previously stated. That stands for tip, ring, sleeve. You can get trs extensions but they can get spendy and you have another connection to fail. Get some 2 wire plus shield cable @ Rat Shack, a trs plug and replace the existing wire with one of your desired length.

• Members

The footswitch has 2 bottons, one for channel switching the other to turn the reverb on and off. I've tested the coupler and extra cable and both work fine when tested between my guitar and the amp.

The coupler I bought is an Apex AA5 1/4" female to 1/4" female, it doesn't say anything about being stereo on the pkg or being TR or TRS so maybe that's what I really need.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I just signed up to this forum and this was my first posting and I appreciate everyones input.

• Members

The footswitch has 2 bottons, one for channel switching the other to turn the reverb on and off.
I've tested the coupler and extra cable and both work fine when tested between my guitar and the amp.

The coupler I bought is an Apex AA5 1/4" female to 1/4" female, it doesn't say anything about being stereo on the pkg or being TR or TRS so maybe that's what I really need.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I just signed up to this forum and this was my first posting and I appreciate everyones input.

Your test only tests the mono connection (TS). It's pretty easy to tell if a cable is TRS by looking at the ends. See below.

The coupler will be harder. For that I'd hook a TRS cable to each side. Test continuity from one cable to the other. Start with one probe on the sleeve of one of the cables. Take the other probe and test continuity to the sleeve on the second cable. That should be good. Then move that probe from the sleeve to ring. If continuity tests true from sleeve one one side to ring on the other then your couple is mono.

TipsTricks02.gif

• Members

...If it is a 2 switch pedal then you have trs as previously stated...

Not necessarly so- modern Fender amps that use 2-button foot switches have electronic circutry in the the foot switch, and work with a TS connector.

A headphone extension cable would work with the TRS-type foots, and Rat Shack sells a TS extension cable.

Archived