EMG wiring help

ARThriller

• Members

Ok, once more guys I have another tricky question. The situation this time is that I have an older quick connect emg wire (not from solderless kit) but everything else is from the solderless kit. In the instructions in the solderless kit it says that if you have an older model pickup you just solder the red wire to the lil plastic buss(not the big one) that is included, but the white wire coming from the quick connect wire has bare wire with a lil white wire in the middle of it(hope that makes sense) and it doesnt say anything about where to connect it. I have tryed touching the wire to every prong and ground spot on the volume pot but still whenever I hit the pickup with my whammy bar you can hear it nomatter which way I turn the volume. This is a one pickup, one volume guitar and I figured it would be easy but I guess nothing ever is.

• Members

http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/H_0230-0106D.pdf

It's diagram number 2, 1 pickup 1 volume. And you see where the quick connect goes from the pickup to the volume pot (black and white wire). Well my wire is an older version and instead of having the quick connect that would hook onto the volume pot, it has just the standard white and red wires with the ends you need to solder. I've got the red wire right but the white wire has alot of bare wire with a lil skinny white wire in the middle of it and Im not sure where I need to solder these. I tryed touching them to the prongs on the volume pot that normally they would just quik connect to but the volume still doesnt change.

• Members

Understand now.

The problem is pretty simple, I'm not sure what kind of pot it is though.

The EMG pots may be 10K ohms and that may be the issue, but that shouldnt change things.

Pots have three legs in most cases. The center connector would go to the jack. This leave two other legs. One of the legs normally gets grounded and the other outer leg goes to the pickup. The picture can be misinterpeted because the wires going to the pot are dual wires. Theres a ground and a hot on each. The grounds from the pickup and the jack go to one end of the pot, the hot wire coming from the jack goes to the center sweeper of the pot, and the hot wire from the pickup go to the other end of the pot.

heres a pic for the proper connect, you'll need to use it and the EMG diagram to figure it out. Youll need to identify the legs of the pot to connect it properly. Sorry for the poor mouse drawing, you can redo it if needed.

Archived