Installing a Bigsby on a hollowbody

• Members

does the strap bottom on the lower bout of the guitar determine where the Bigsby will go?

Absolutely not! It must be aligned with the center line of the strings or you'll have issues. If that means relocating the strap button, as it often does, then that's what you need to do. It's not a big deal. Just plug the old hole and drill a new one. The bigsby plate usually blocks the plugged hole anyway.

Fortunately your guitar already has a tail piece so you'll have a rough idea of where to put it.

• Members
Absolutely not!
It must be aligned with the center line of the strings or you'll have issues. If that means relocating the strap button, as it often does, then that's what you need to do. It's not a big deal. Just plug the old hole and drill a new one. The bigsby plate usually blocks the plugged hole anyway.

Fortunately your guitar already has a tail piece so you'll have a rough idea of where to put it.

Thanks for the info.:thu: It looks like it'll be more trouble than it's worth, unless I want to take it to a tech.

• Members

Doesn't the strap button on the lower bout determine where everything is lined up? I mean, if the location of it works for the tailpiece, why wouldn't it work for a Bigsby?

It may in your case, but as a rule no.

Even if it isn't exactly where you need it it's really not that hard. I used dental floss strung where the High E and low E are to align the bigsby with the neck.

• Members

It may in your case, but as a rule no.

Even if it isn't exactly where you need it it's really not that hard. I used dental floss strung where the High E and low E are to align the bigsby with the neck.

+ 10 on dental floss. I use this to locate bridges. I learn a bunch around here.

• Members

a little off topic but did you guys know that Bigsby started making motorcycles, and after saying that he could make anything someone challenged him to make a guitar, and he made guitars. learned this useless crap at the Pennsylvania Lancaster auto museum. saw a bigsby motorcycle,a and a bigsby axe pretty sweet but he made solidbodies

• Members

a little off topic but did you guys know that Bigsby started making motorcycles, and after saying that he could make anything someone challenged him to make a guitar, and he made guitars. learned this useless crap at the Pennsylvania Lancaster auto museum. saw a bigsby motorcycle,a and a bigsby axe pretty sweet but he made solidbodies

Rumor has it that Bigsby was the first to equip a guitar with a pickup of his own design. I do know that many archtops sported electric pups long before Mr. Paul made the log.

• Members

Is that really necessary? It's a hollowbody, but it has a fixed bridge and it's an import so I'm not sure what will fit or what to google for as far as roller bridges for it are concerned.

Yes its nessasary. Strings arent going to glide over fixed bridge saddels without being horribly out of tune and breaking, and wearing out the grooves in the saddels. They make TOM tyoe roller bridges, you just need to find one that will fit your current hole size and spacing.

• Members

Rumor has it that Bigsby was the first to equip a guitar with a pickup of his own design. I do know that many archtops sported electric pups long before Mr. Paul made the log.

that is something, and were they like a microphone or a true pickup?

Archived