Would it be cheaper..

Radiohead625

• Members

For some reason, people thing that building is cheaper than buying. In most cases its many times more expensive. Think of what it would cost to build an automobile from scratch and paying doubble or tripple the cost for every part. Factories build at cost because they build in bulk to keep the cost down. Buying parts, you pay for all the middleman markups that can be as high as 10X the cost.

Just looking at the box and what I could see inside I see about $80 in parts so theres a markup on that one of 50% which is normal on just about everything you buy.

There arent many kits out there. Most are pretty basic too. Most guys build from schematics and breadboard the circuit till they get things tweaked the way they want them to sound. In your case, Its highly unlikely you'll find that circuit schematic on the internet so if you want it, you'll have to buy it.

• Members

I agree, in part with WRG. Buying a kit is often more expensive. For those who do a lot of electronics fiddling it can be cheaper. But that is if you have some parts on hand and the knowledge to build completely from scratch. Most pedal builders are like the rest of the DIY community and won't throw away a used band-aid if it has a potential use.

• Members

This applies to building guitars,speaker cabs, etc.... If you enjoy the challenge of building something/anything, then by all means weld,saw,and screw to your hearts content. Realize however that with the cost of tools and materials and a learning curve you will not save money. Your time is valuable. Don't forget to factor it into your total cost. TW

• Moderators

Used to be that manufacturers offered both finished products and the same product in kit form for less. Heathkit made a lot of money that way, back in the 60s. I think it started going out in the 70s, and hasn't been seen since. But the idea still floats about, making people think they can build it for less than if they bought it. As WRGKMC said, though, it is rarely the case. The advantage of building is getting exactly what you want, and/or the pride of being able to say, "I built it myself."

• Members

Used to be that manufacturers offered both finished products and the same product in kit form for less. Heathkit made a lot of money that way, back in the 60s. I think it started going out in the 70s, and hasn't been seen since. But the idea still floats about, making people think they can build it for less than if they bought it. As WRGKMC said, though, it is rarely the case. The advantage of building is getting exactly what you want, and/or the pride of being able to say, "I built it myself."

And for educational purposes which is the most important of all.

• Members

To pretty much echo what's already been said, I would guess if you're talking about a "boutique" pedal with pretty high grade components, like I asssume this is, you might come close to matching the overall price in a DIY deal. If you look at mass produced, Chinese made stuff, you probably can't even buy the enclosure, jacks, pots and knobs for what you pay for the complete finished pedal.

• Members

I've been looking at Ceriatone amps, which is the Heathkit of the new age. They will sell you everything you need to DIY and you'll save a small amount of money. But, when you look at the cost of a completed amp from them, you really haven't saved much. I'd bet you're paying for a warranty in this case. May be worth it.

My truck engine is getting tired. I looked at the cost of a remanufactured engine vs DIY. $300 buys me a 5 year, 50K warranty. Same type thing.

• Members

I've been looking at Ceriatone amps, which is the Heathkit of the new age. They will sell you everything you need to DIY and you'll save a small amount of money. But, when you look at the cost of a completed amp from them, you really haven't saved much. I'd bet you're paying for a warranty in this case. May be worth it.

My truck engine is getting tired. I looked at the cost of a remanufactured engine vs DIY. $300 buys me a 5 year, 50K warranty. Same type thing.

I think with the guitar and guitar amp DIY stuff we typically talk about here money isn't really the driving force. I do it because it's fun. I save where I can but it's really hard to get ahead of the cost on a project when you only buy small quantities of components at a time.

The only DIY stuff that really pays is doing your own guitar tech work. Send a guitar in for a fret level, dressing, polish, new nut and setup and you are looking at a pretty substantial bench fee. Now at home I can do it for the cost of a few pieces of sandpaper and less than 10 bucks for the nut blank. The tools I've bought and regularly use for the job have paid for them themselves in under a year.

So if saving money is the motivating factor that's where your time and money investment should be IMO.

• Members

So if saving money is the motivating factor that's where your time and money investment should be IMO.

Sooo true! I do think the op would be best served by building the cheapest pedal project available. Then you have a good idea if you want to continue down this dark path we call DIY. And you end up with bits & pieces left over that sometimes can be put to use on another project. I know of nobody here that will throw away anything that has a potential use.

Frinstance, my recent camp guitar project I have around 100 bucks into including new frets. Good guitar too.

• Members

I think with the guitar and guitar amp DIY stuff we typically talk about here money isn't really the driving force. I do it because it's fun. I save where I can but it's really hard to get ahead of the cost on a project when you only buy small quantities of components at a time.

The only DIY stuff that really pays is doing your own guitar tech work. Send a guitar in for a fret level, dressing, polish, new nut and setup and you are looking at a pretty substantial bench fee. Now at home I can do it for the cost of a few pieces of sandpaper and less than 10 bucks for the nut blank. The tools I've bought and regularly use for the job have paid for them themselves in under a year.

thats another thing im so afraid to do my own setups, cuz i dont wanna mess it up... im afraid that i wont get the intonation right even.:facepalm:

• Members

thats another thing im so afraid to do my own setups, cuz i dont wanna mess it up... im afraid that i wont get the intonation right even.
:facepalm:

That's where getting a cheap guitar to tinker wiht is beneficial. Most guitars, especially cheapies need some setup work. And if you totally screw up a $99 guitar you haven't lost much. But the joy of taking a sow's ear and making it in to a silk purse is very rewarding.

Archived