Anyone knows a good website I can learn about building Neck

BDSMITH

• Members

I would like to get into doing that, so i don't have to buy fender/ Warmouth .I can come up with my Own head stock. and not look like everyone else.I have built tele body.Had trouble when it came time to route ,I could not get the pockets right .:cop::love:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Suggest Melvyn Hiscock's book, also Cumpiano & Natelson as well as Benedetto. All three show different methods to get consistent results. I mostly use a process of faceting, fairing the surfaces, and smoothing with scraper & sandpaper.

For routing, the easiest and most consistent method is to use templates, either with brass template guides on the router or bearing bits. I make mine from (almost) 1/4" thick acrylic with some registration lines scribed on the bottom, and 1/8" oversized so that I can use a 1/2" brass guide and a 1/4" bit (or 3/4" and 1/2", depending on the cut).

• Members

Not as difficult as it may appear. Like many other things, you get better with time. Knowledge of basic woodworking skills is all you really need, the rest is experience.

agreed, i just finished my first neck, and it wasnt very hard! havent got the body done yet, so i havent REALLY tried it out. but id just dive in and go for it!

Archived