I found a much better way to get pots back into my hollowbody!

thop

• Members

Came out pretty even actually. And it's a $50 plywood guitar with a warped neck I got on ebay for fun. I don't think I'd be taking a dremel to a Gibson or an Epiphone.

Now I just have to figure out a way to get the panel back on...

• Members

:eekphil::eekphil::eekphil:

Dam, I dont think I'll be bringing one of my guitars to your shop man.

I cant sacrifice the large chunk of stability and tone that was removed there.

All you have to do is to tie strings to the pots when you remove them, then pull them back into place when you're done. Some guys put surgical tubing over the ends of the pots.

Sorry I cant see makes that as being a a good nor professional approach.

The old vox hollowbodies installed metal plates in the top with the active electronics connected, and the back would have a battery compartment with a anap on pad that covered it.

Cutting a hole like that though, just gives me the creeps. Nothing personal, of course You can do what you want. I just have to give you the big thumbs down on method :facepalm:

• Members

Dam, I dont think I'll be bringing one of my guitars to your shop man.

Jonathan's Music Shop. Where the only guarantee is that I will play with tools!

6011279597_f69201612e.jpg

Haha, I know it's extreme, but first off, you haven't heard the tone of the Rejectomatic. There is no way to make it worse, it sounds like someone installed pickups and a neck on a big tupperware container.

I tried the strings and a few other methods, the problem is that I'm such a horrible solderer that the connections kept coming loose. So I gave up. Tvvoodoo nailed it, I conceded defeat to an inanimate object. By the way, goosefartfan, I actually like that hinge idea. I don't know if that was a joke or not but I think it's the solution I'm looking for!

• Members

I think I'm actually going to get a new neck. I have a spare strat neck around, I might get a floating bridge to extend the scale to 25. I also found an epiphone LP jr on sale for 45 bucks on craigslist this morning, so maybe I'll just grab that and use the neck and sell the body on ebay for 25 bucks.

BTW Tomm, the First Act Delia has a panel on the back. Don't know if that's what you consider "quality" but it's factory made and I've heard that people dig em.

• Members

Is anyone aware of a "Quality" hollow electric that is built that way? Not knocking the OP's project, it just got me to wondering if the idea isn't new. Never seen that except on a solid. Still----------if that's what was needed................

You can debate the "quality" part, but the Gibson ES-333 featured an access door:

es-333-7.jpg

• Members

my hinge idea was serious, but in the spirit of the thread!

BTW, since it's on the back, the cheapest hinge I can think of is duct tape! You can use simple masking/scotch tape to hold the rest of the lid back in place

OK, now the brainwaves are moving..........glue a wooden spool of thread to the front to act as a doorstop so you can't push it in too far!

It sure is fun thinking of wacky things to do to someone else's guitar!

• Members

I have two possibilities. I bought some mini hinges from the hardware store. I figure I can rip them in half and use them as posts to hold up the door. I'll bolt them to the inside of the hole, then I can permanently attach a nut on the spot where my finger is so that I can put a bolt thru the door and secure it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337667[/ATTACH]

I'll have to crazy glue the nut in place because of my aforementioned magical power to render solder completely useless, hopefully that will hold and wont get into the threading. It's a tiny area, gotta be accurate.

I can either put in 4 of these posts, one on each corner, or I can put in 2 or 3 and use that idea of a permanent hinge on one side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337666[/ATTACH]

• Members

haha this would solve me not wanting to work on my artcore too =p

Heres my motto (from my first build), if you need an access panel, why not make it access everything!
:p

IMG_3657.jpg

Haha, that's great. Res-o-glas guitars are like that too right? I gotta get one of those. A customized plastic guitar that you can split in half to work on is right up my alley.

• Members

New idea!

drill about six 1/8th holes on each side of the lid.

tape up all four sides of the lid to the bodywith masking tape.

drill matching holes in the body.

Remove masking tape.

Take a used high E string, and cut off the ball end.

Thread the one end of the E string through one of the holes, and take the other end of the E string, and thread it throught the opposing hole.

Cross over and repeat until all the holes have been filled.

Like a shoelace.

TIE A BOW, AND OFF YOU GO!!

Archived