Mixing Desk I made over the last couple weeks.

diocide

• Members

So I've really wanted a nice desk for my computer/recording room. The one I have now is WAYYY too big. I've been looking to get one for a while, but hadn't picked anything up yet.

So on my way home Thursday, I noticed a neighbor of mine was throwing out a computer desk that looked a lot like what I wanted for my computer, only problem was that it was half broken, made from {censored}ty particle board and was in really rough shape. Anyway, I grabbed it and brought it home.

So using the desk from the neighbor as a guide/blueprint, I started getting some ideas together. I went out and purchased almost everything yesterday, and started building today... Heres the progress so far;

88c2a523.jpg

bc203fd2.jpg

And then I made two shelves for audio monitors (which I don't own.......yet)

b519298a.jpg

I had to remove the main desk in order to screw the small pieces into the small, monitor desk.

This is my first attempt to build a piece of furniture (I'm a plumbing/heating guy) but I think it's coming along well. I didn't use the most expensive woods, because this was effectively an experiment, but I think from here on in, I'd be comfortable using more expensive hardwoods.

The lower and main pieces are birch ply, while the rest is pine. It's all sanded here, and all the screw holes are predrilled and ready. I need to get some longer screws for some of the joints, so I will probably wait to glue it and screw it until tomorrow. I'll then fill all the holes, and put a couple coats of stain and poly on it.

I managed to save the sliding keyboard shelf hardware and I might re use it, unless I find a beefier one online and it's not too expensive. That, along with some decent casters that have stops, and I'm all set...

I'll post pics as I complete the remaining steps.

• Members

Two coats of Minwax Poly Stain (stain and poly in one) later...

af7791ef.jpg

dfdde30a.jpg

I've come to the realization of two facts;

1. Always use a rag to apply stain, not a foam brush.

2. I suck at staining stuff.

But oh well, it doesn't look awesome, but looks better than I though it would... Sturdy too!

• Members

Whoah, nice work. And here I felt accomplished for hanging a shelf today....

:rolleyes:

I didn't do this all today... I just posted all the steps so far. It's taken me about 12 hours or so all together, spread out over 2 weeks or so. I just stained and poly'd the keyboard shelf today. Going to put that on and hopefully get it into my music room tomorrow or the day after.

• Members

That is great - I like your guerilla design knocking off - I love building stuff but I tend to rush too much. If you have any dowel left over, a couple of chunks might be a good idea on those monitor shelves (front corner) but it's probably sturdy enough as is.

Nice work!

• Members

Thats decent.

I thought of building one myself but went with an 8' taple and rack shelves mounted on it instead. I still dont have enough room for all my hardware and

I could probibly use another 8' table for just my analog recording gear. Then I'd need another for all my keyboards.

Seems like the more space I make, the more it gets eaten up by gear.

• Members

I just wanted to add, that I've been recently working on my desk a few weeks ago... (still not quite there)... fit's good in my man cave thought it would fit well in this thread, if you don't mind...

I alluded above a major man-cave project I had been putting off and wanted to get done. So when a couple of a rainy days rolled in it was perfect for what I had planned.

Look at this friggin' mess. I'm such a disgrace. It's been this way for three years. Sure I been gettin lots of ya-ya's out in here, I have a fairly basic DAW going, and I also have been using the space to slowly digitize my vinyl collection. But I can't turn hardly around in this 5 ft. by 7 ft. space, without smacking the headstock against a wall or a hanging item. Not good at all. You can't RAWK while you are {censored}-footin' around.

widemess.jpg

Starting to look a bit like Yngwie's place. Except no room left for NGD's, and no garage full of ferraris

mediummess.jpg

Tearing it all down and cleaning it out took two hours.

cleanslate.jpg

Shortly before my break, I picked up this old entertainment centre thing for $30. It also had a couple of drawers and a slide out media shelf, and all kinds of goodies. I had lots of dreams about how I was going to configure it. I took it apart almost immediately, and it's been leaning against the wall in pieces upstairs for the last three weeks. I have a patient wife. first, I built a basic shelf.

shelf1.jpg

This shelf really is not much use, though it is about 20" deep, I will only have about 6 useable inches when I am done... hopefully just enough for a nice LED monitor - someday.... :grin:

shelf2.jpg

Then, I built another shelf thingy, but this one is about 5 inches lower than the other one, and is on casters. Because I am a righty, I had to reconfigure the whole thing, because playing at the DAW requires room on the left hand side, that's where most of the other niceties will go. It's on casters, so I can roll it out frontwise and easily get behind, at the patches. The long end will typically only have the keyboard, maybe my V-amp on it, papers, charts etc... - the jutty out thing on the bottom part is for the computer...

I'm going to house the my main amp, the princeton chorus on a small stand on the floor underneath where my feets will go. I run the RP-1000 through it clean, so I don't fiddle too much with the controls on that one.

shelf3.jpg

Then I got to organizing the gits, (sort of)... - I made a rack last winter, after I was inspired by my dad's gun rack design (it's detailed in the insanitarium on AGF)...

hang1.jpg

hangcu.jpg

two big-a** screws, as well as a couple of 3/8" lag bolts direct into the studs oughta hold 'er. ( I hung on it myself for ten seconds before I started laying in the fiddles). If it handles me at about 170 lbs, should do pretty fine with the gits I figure. There was one guy on AFG who lost a whole wall of guitars after the mounting system failed... the pile of damaged guitars on the floor that he posted was a site to behold.

I do not wish to endure such a man-cave calamity.

hangbright.jpg

She's filling up. I did screw up on the measurements. I probably should have left at least another half inch between the slots - they go in pretty tight - I'll have to organize them - because each one wants to hang a little differently, some want to skew... also, I was hoping to hang my daughters bye-bye kitty bass, but it was 2" longer than my longest git. oh well, maybe that one will hang on the wall - not like we need it really handy - don't play much bass, anyway.

I installed a roll-out shelf for the mixer, on the top of the electronics bay, hooked up a powerbar to the back of the slide-out, shop vac'd it all and loaded the rest of the electronics components into the bottom. rolls in and out real nice, but I better put some felt on the sides - it's built so close, the walls are taking a pounding.

Since these photos, I've built a CD shelf that goes behind the guitars, out of one of the entertainment system drawers, made a sweet little rolling tool/cord and whatnot cart that slides under the counter out of the DVD storage part of the entertainment centre- I also dove in and untangled the the rats' nest. Yeesh!

ratsnest.jpg

Most everything is hooked back up, purchased a monitor the replace the old massive 20" CRT, and a comfy little office chair, though

I will need to modify the arms on it for playing...

• Members

So I got the keyboard shelf done over the weekend...

693028f9.jpg

And after breaking the old desk (by accident) I put it in my computer/music room. Looks pretty cool and is smaller than my last desk, so the room feels bigger now.

d214f85d.jpg

ef2bf10f.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results... Now to get some monitors....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived