Guitar Monitor Cab?

mikeman

• Members

I am thinking about making a monitor cab this weekend. I can't really hear my guitar when we gig and saw that Avatar makes a 2x12. So I might make up a 1x12 with a spare speaker this weekend to see how it helps. Anyone here make one or tried one? I will update this with pics as I go.

• Members

If you're running a 2X12" and connect another single 12" to the head you may be running some oddball impedance there and have some unbalanced power between the two cabs.

If the 2X12" is 8 ohms, then running another 8 ohms cab in parallel will give you 4 ohms. Your head may be OK with that.

If the cab is 16 ohms and you connect an secons 8 ohms 12" you'll have an oddball 6 ohms load. and if the 2X12" cab is 4 ohms you'll have around 3 ohms. which is also oddball.

Most guitar amps cant handel 3 ohms so you better plan things before you just go and plug another speaker in. You may need a 16 ohm extension to connect to a 16 ohm 2X12" cab which will give you 8 ohms. total

• Members

Mike - what kind of amp are you running?

if you have a way to get a "line out" (there are some other options depending on your system and situation, but that's an easy one) then you might want to consider doing a powered monitor -- it has some advantages like not messing with the configuration of your amp as it is and it allows you to adjust your monitor level to match the stage situation without changing your overall level

Archived