Peavey Deuce Project

Bignasty006

• Members

An old 400w Peavey Deuce Combo. Chrome parts are rusting out and it's filthy as {censored}. Not to mention I think the 15inch black widow speaker is WAY to spikey-sounding to me. Maybe it's the openback design. idk. Just sent it to the shop and thought about having some fun with it when it gets back.

I want to recover the whole thing in lime green tolex (black on green theme); Change out the 15in. speaker to a darker bassy sounding one OR would it be a pain to convert it to a 2x12 combo? I also want to close the back in a little more. Want to be able to see the tubes slightly, but none of the speaker(s). Is any of this expensive/difficult to do?

• Members

If you have basic woodworking skills, making the cabinet and a new baffle are almost trivial. The cost of materials would be determined by how much of the hardware you are re-using, how much you have to get (e.g. Parts Express, etc.), and what work you want to source elsewhere. The cab is probably in OK shape, so all you may need to do is to make a new baffle. Applying tolex, though, is something of an art and takes some practice to do well, but you can get reasonable results on your first attempt. If you want to go 2x12, then measure the baffle and see if it can physically accept two 12 inch speakers. They probably would have to be offset a bit. If they don't, then you could go with 2x10's or possibly 1x12 and 1x10. Just make sure the load in ohms is acceptable for the output transformer.

With a little planning, you could make the back convertible from closed, open, an any degree in between the two extremes.

• Members

A properly sized 2X12 enclosed cab will prooly get you what you want to hear. I'd google 2X12 guitar speaker cabinet. you can get basic dimensions that way. The only other way I'm aware of involves getting the small parameters for your intended speakers and use an online calculator. Too much of a PITA IMO.

• Members

cephus

A duece isn't 400 watts. It's 120, I believe. And that's peavey watts, so it's probably closer to 90.

I was kinda curious about that. Never seen a 400w "tubed" amp in my life. Either way, it's a loud mofo.

customtele

A properly sized 2X12 enclosed cab will prooly get you what you want to hear. I'd google 2X12 guitar speaker cabinet. you can get basic dimensions that way. The only other way I'm aware of involves getting the small parameters for your intended speakers and use an online calculator. Too much of a PITA IMO.

Properly sized. Is that regardless of speaker wattage? I'm familiar with car woofers and they have to have a certain amount of cubic air space. Same principle?

Archived