DIY Tube Amp Switcher

RockGuitarDude1

• Members

I'm working on a DIY tube amp switcher. Has anyone built anything similar? The arrangement I will be implementing is:

Two Amps: A & B (both tube)

When amp A is in use and connected to the speaker, amp B will be connected to a 100W dummy load (with resistance to match amp output). When amp B is in use and connected to the speaker amp A will be connected to a 100W dummy load.

I know having no load on a tube amp can cause damage. Will the split second where there is no load as the switch transfers between speaker and dummy load damage the amp? Is this how all switchers work?

Thanks,

J

• Members

They make some boxes for that. I'd never run them though. My tube amps are 40 and

50 years old and still running like the day they were bought because I dont abuse them

and they are Way to valuable to be abusing them screwing with the loads.

The only time I switch output loads is after powering them down.

I dont think the switching is all that hard but dummy loads are not

inductive/reactive like an actual moving speaker coil is.

An actual speaker in a sealed box would be the best option.

I do think you'd be better off splitting the speakers in the cab and running both heads on it

then just run a simple A/B/Y switch on the inputs

• Members

I do think you'd be better off splitting the speakers in the cab and running both heads on it

then just run a simple A/B/Y switch on the inputs

This x10000. Doing it the way you're describing sounds WAY too complicated for something that's relatively simple.

Archived