How to Fix a crack in the Guitar

BDSMITH

• Members

Are you sure its a crack and not a flaw?

It looks like someone slipped with a router or saw.

A crack would go with the grain only.

If its a gouge, only sanding will fix it.

If its a crack using a hypo with thinned wood glue will work.

if you havent got a hypo and theren enough gap there,

you can force some wood glue in there with a thin piece of plastic

like a transparency film. You could also use a razor knife or tooth pick

to work it in there.

Its in a non critical area so your main concern is being able to finish over it.

Wood glue will reject certain finishes like stains, oil finishes etc so you want to get the

glue in thre crack, not on the surrounding wood so be careful applying it.

any over spill needs to be cleaned up quickly with a damp cloth so it doesnt close the pores.

If you plan on painting the guitar, then you can shelac over it and not have a problem.

So long as theres no gaps and youve sanded it smooth you should be good.

I would say you can wick crazy glue in the crack. but you would have to be painting the guitar

not doing a natureal finish. crazy glue will wick into the surrounding wood and will reject any stains

and certain types of clear coats, so i must know your plans for the guitar before I give you solid advice.

I've even had situations where I had grain separation and had to steam the wood and use brads to close the gaps.

then you would cut the heads off and counter sink the brad and use a pinhead of matching filler.

It makes a nearly invisable repair that is nessasary to arrest the crack from getting worse if done right

• Members

It looks like a pickguard will cover quite a bit. I say go with a purple p/g and purple polka dots to go with the pink. Hopefully Katillac will be by to give suggestions as to what would work well with pink. She's got a good eye for that kinda stuff.

• Members

I'd work with lacquer instead of poly. Its much more forgiving and repairable if you mess up.

poly is a one shot deal. you either get it right the first time or live with the consequences.

You can buy lacquer auto body spray paint at most auto parts stores.

Avoid using acrylics - avoid using mixed finishes like lacquer and poly combinations.

You can get a nice glass finish factory look buffing lacquer you cant get with poly unless

you use a sprayer and thin the poly as you go. Even then poly goes on like layers of an

onion whereas lacquer melts into the previous layers making it one thick layer. You also

cant buff poly to remove flaws nor make repairs to dings and scratches.

You can use lacquer sticks and overspray lacquer for an invisable fix.

I'm not sure auto parts store carry pink but its worth checking. I'm sure theres some

pink catallacs out ther that need touch up paint. You could also just spend $100

and have an auto body playce put a pro finish on there. you spend nearly that much

doing it yourself. Spray paint and clearcoat costs like $10 a can. It takes 5 or 6 cans

to spray them right, then if you screw up and have to star over it cost doubble that.

Archived