Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doe anyone here make nuts?

I need an 8-string bass (octave) nut made for a warmoth 8 string bass neck i have. I contacted warmoth, offerred to take mesurements or even as far as to mail the neck to them so they could make a nut for it and put it on and they wanted nothing to do with it. I could make my own just fine, but if anyone else here makes them, they know the correct tools are $200+. If I make a good product I could then make and sell odd nuts which is a perk, but I'd really like to avoid buyig the set of tools and trial and eror-ing my way through it. if anyone has or can make an 8 string nut for me thre is cash involved!
    Basses-EBMM Sterling 4, 1986 Pink Guild Pilot 5, 1989 Squire HM5, Danelectro 4, Davison LP semi hallow 4
    Rig-Furman PC, Behringer Rackmount Tuner with lights (FS), ART dual band 10 band eq, DOD x-over, Alesis 3630, Fostex patch bay, Ampeg SVT-3 Pro, SWR SM-400, Custom Built OMEGA 410/212/115 cab

lz4005: " I have to admit, though, you should win some kind of giant balls prize for looking at an 8x10 and thinking "that is not big enough"."

$200? Nut files are about $50 which is all you need.
    They will be wider ones used for bass, but you can buy two doubble edged files that will each handle a string gauge.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Nuts_and_saddles/Double-edge_Nut_Files.html

Or you could spend the same and take it to a luthire and have him make it for you.
    Its nearly impossible to make one and just have it drop in.
    The slot depths have to be custom cut to the gret height instrument so the nut is cut while the nut is already installed.
    You can use needle files or torch tip cleaners though the cutting takes allot more time and care. You'd probibly have
    to buy a couple of blamks in case your screw up but nut material is only a few bucks.
    If you live in Houston I'd do it for you but You're best off finding someone local. Have you tried your
    local music store? If thay havent got a good tech, then they usually have a bulletin board you can post on.

Comment

I agree with WRG on this. The reason Warmoth wants nothing to do with it is the need to make a nut for each individual neck. I've never seen a pre cut nut that was a direct drop in. Best to start from a blank.
      It's 4am woman make up your mind. EITHER SPIT IT OUT OR SWALLOW IT!!!

Comment

And when customtele and WRGKMC agree, it has to be right!
        "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
        -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
        -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
        -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
        -- Theodore White

Comment

Are you saying that never happens?

Comment

haha o thanks guys, ill check my local store and if not i have a guy in downstate NY i had refret one of my basses and i watced him make a few nuts so i know hes good, its just a 4+ hour drive
            Basses-EBMM Sterling 4, 1986 Pink Guild Pilot 5, 1989 Squire HM5, Danelectro 4, Davison LP semi hallow 4
            Rig-Furman PC, Behringer Rackmount Tuner with lights (FS), ART dual band 10 band eq, DOD x-over, Alesis 3630, Fostex patch bay, Ampeg SVT-3 Pro, SWR SM-400, Custom Built OMEGA 410/212/115 cab

lz4005: " I have to admit, though, you should win some kind of giant balls prize for looking at an 8x10 and thinking "that is not big enough"."

Comment

Making a nut isn't that hard. It does take the right tools to do it correctly. warmoth has about the best price I've seen. you can also make nut saws out of automotive feeler gages and they work OK. But they leave a flat bottom. That's where torch tip cleaners come in. Use those to get the last little bit. I did it that way for a while. But I did a friends nut and he referred me to others who referred, well, you get the idea. So I invested in the proper files. I've been doing everybody's nuts (DON'T GO THERE!!!).

Comment

We give each other enough space to express our own opinions, but in this case, we have to agree. Its a DIY site after all.

By the way I finally broke down and bought some real Fret files at Stu Mac this weekend.
                I had been using "Other" file types for as long as I can remember and I figured I deserve not getting
                blisters any more. I only bought a .010, .013 and .016 so far at $12+ apiece. I'll get a .026, .036, and .046 next payday for a whole set.
                I been bad this week spending money on "Stuff". But if I can get good Stuff to replace the Crap Stuff, it only makes sence because it
                saves time and improves quality of the work. Besides I'm not really happy with the way I cut my last too nuts (ouch) and I want to redo them.

Thick strings need a little more space between them than the thinner strings to feel right. You actuall need to measure in the width of the strings for spacing.
                bass strings are even more critical there. You cant just scribe 4 lines on a blank nut and cut them to width. The thicker stringe will be too close together.

Comment

The Stew Mac string spacing rule is actually worth having, and it does take into account a proportional spacing. Easy to use, and works great.
                  SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
                  Lulu Edition
                  Kindle Edition
                  iTunes iBookstore
                  Nook Edition

Comment

The Stew Mac string spacing rule is actually worth having, and it does take into account a proportional spacing. Easy to use, and works great.

Yea its one of those things I plan on getting some day. I've gotten so used to doing them by eye, but there is more chance of a flub that way. I align the strings over the blank nut, space them, then use a magic marker over the strings so it leaves the uncolored gaps. Either that or the old nuts for spacing. The problem is if tiy dint get that initial cut dead on centered, its pretty much impossible moving it as the cut gets deeper. I work with brass on most of my own instruments because I like their tone.

Its tough stuff without good files and the bottom roundness and angle of the cuts are is the most important part. If it isnt just right, tuning and tone will suffer.
                    If you angle the cut too high in comparison to the headstock angle, most of the string pressure will be towards the tuners instead of towards the edge of the frets and you can get string buzz. Cut too much angle towards the headstock and all the pressure will be on the edge near the fret. This can cause string binding and excelerated nut and string wear.
                    Feners are pretty easy because the cuts are fairly level, On other headstocks like gibsons that tilt back you want that gradual tapering away from the nut. With a good stiff file thats rounded, its a simple to use feeler guages in front of the nut so you dont cut too deep, and focus 100% on the angle.

Comment

IME buying a cut nut is the best ~$50 you will ever spend unless you like pain, as cutting nuts accurately is a royal PITA (some use welding tip cleaners available at Harbor Freight to cut slots; they work!)

Comment

IME buying a cut nut is the best ~$50 you will ever spend unless you like pain, as cutting nuts accurately is a royal PITA (some use welding tip cleaners available at Harbor Freight to cut slots; they work!)

I've yet to see a pre cut nut that's a drop in. You end up having to massage your nuts to get them right. With the proper tools, I actually enjoy doing my own nuts. I also like getting paid 50 bucks to do other people's nuts. Proper tools means I'm making about 35 bucks an hour at that rate.

Comment

I've yet to see a pre cut nut that's a drop in. You end up having to massage your nuts to get them right.

I prefer to have somebody else massage my nuts.

Comment

I prefer to have somebody else massage my nuts.

Like I said, I charge 50 bucks to do someone else's. And that's each. You want two nuts done, that's a hunnert bucks. BTW I recently raised my price because the girls downtown did.

Comment

Naughty Boys

Comment

Working...
                              X