Signal Router Tone Loss

almost enough

• Members

I modified my SKB PS-45 pedal board and I'm having some issues now. Hoping you guys can help me out.

I removed the PCB mounted, plastic jacks that made up the signal routing section of the board, and replaced them with standard metal TS and TRS jacks, so as to better suit my routing needs. The jacks I replaced them with are the ones that (I believe) ground to the chassis, since it's metal to metal once screwed in tight. All jacks are routed to each other, ground and signal path.

Now I'm getting a noticeable loss in high end, and volume.

My goal is to use this to route all my pedals through so the cables from the amp all go to one place. This will include pedals in front of my amp, and in the effects loop, as well as one TRS for the channel selector. The amp is a Peavey Classic 30.

• Members

Plastic jacks are often used to prevent grounding to the chassis.
It may not be a cost saving issue they used plastic jacks,
they may have a real purpose in preventing chassis grounding.

If you're using metal jacks they may need to be insulated from
the chassis using special washers that keep the ring connection
of the jack from touching the frame.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by almost enough View Post
I modified my SKB PS-45 pedal board and I'm having some issues now. Hoping you guys can help me out.

I removed the PCB mounted, plastic jacks that made up the signal routing section of the board, and replaced them with standard metal TS and TRS jacks, so as to better suit my routing needs. The jacks I replaced them with are the ones that (I believe) ground to the chassis, since it's metal to metal once screwed in tight. All jacks are routed to each other, ground and signal path.

Now I'm getting a noticeable loss in high end, and volume.
So what exactly did you do? Did you hook up the new jacks back to circuit board pads where the old jacks were removed? Or are the new jacks not connected to the circuit board at all?

• Members

I took the circuit boards completely out, and just placed jacks in the holes left in the chassis.

So after pulling the chassis of my amp out to fix a bad connection to the PCB with the reverb and putting it all back together, I am not longer getting the same problems...

I think I have some bad cables/connections/solder joints/etc.

I think I'll just have to go through and check everything thoroughly when I get a full day to dedicate to it. As of now, it works fine, so I'm not going to move it around too much till I can fix it completely.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Archived