X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on refinishing a strat style guitar

Greetings everyone,

Ive browsed the forum before and just recently joined. Just wanted to start by saying it seems like a great little community here and an invaluable resource for a young musician like myself. Glad to be a part of it.

Alright, now, i just scored this fernandes strat from a closing down music store (yes, im a lefty). Im thinking of removing the finish and id like to go with a natural wood finish and maybe do some wood burning with a torch or something to go for that "relic" look. Just a few questions:

It looks like its def. got a veneer, can i just sand right through that? From the looking around ive done, it appears ill want to heat gun/paint scraper this lady, and then sand from there. Yes?

Also wondering if anyone may know what type of wood shes made of, as this will, of course, effect the looks later.

And lastly, what type of finish would you all recommend for a first timer like myself? Ive heard tung or tru oils are very easy to use, however i would like to give it something darker like the royal walnut or mission oak in the polyshades section on the minwax site here:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...FYd9Ogodx0wAZw

Would this polyfinish be a good option? Or is this guitar a good candidate for this type of project at all? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Look inside the tremolo cavity. What does the wood look like in there. Hopefully it ain't plywood.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Z_jimbo
      View Post

And lastly, what type of finish would you all recommend for a first timer like myself? Ive heard tung or tru oils are very easy to use, however i would like to give it something darker like the royal walnut or mission oak in the polyshades section on the minwax site here:

You can mix oil stain with tung oil to darken it before applying to the body. It does thin it but adding a little makes it a darker oil. apply a few coats till you get the shade you want, then just apply the rest clear over it.

Comment

Working...
      X