Remote controlled footswitch!

symeboy

• Members

I have often thought that a remote control switching system would be easier than running back to your pedal board to step on pedals.

I realise there are some expensive devices on the market already, but I would like to see if I (with the help of my electronically wise friend) could build a remote control for one of my pedals.

I have a special footswitch that simultaneously switches channels on an amp and toggles an effects loop on and off. It is controlled by a 3PDT switch.

http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=141

My question is would it be theoretically posible to operate this 3PDT switch with a wireless remote device? It would be really cool to have a small switch maybe stuck to my guitar that I could hit when I want to operate the footswitch...

Thanks in advance :thu:

• Members

pretty straight forward, as long as the RF doesn't interfere with the amp signal, many 2-4 channel remote units are available from the East on Ebay:

check ebay item #190396689182

a 4 independent channel ON/OFF toggle remote, easily adapted to a foot switch or even put into your guitar!

To have it actuate some odd 3PDT youd just have to have its relay actuate a second 3PDT, or two DPDTs (cheaper)

• Moderators

I have a small true bypass (with relay) switching system that is in the development cycle. I have it working and I'm just waiting on the pc boards to arrive from the factory. Boards are 1"x1"

You can use it to build a new pedal or looper, or to retrofit into a Boss pedal.

It can be remotely triggered via a 2-conductor wire.

More soon.

-Jack

• Members

I have a small true bypass (with relay) switching system that is in the development cycle. I have it working and I'm just waiting on the pc boards to arrive from the factory. Boards are 1"x1"

You can use it to build a new pedal or looper, or to retrofit into a Boss pedal.

It can be remotely triggered via a 2-conductor wire.

More soon.

-Jack

Sounds interesting, so it would be a small device that you could fit inside an existing pedal?

How big is the transmitter?

• Moderators

No transmitter... just a thin wire connecting a remote footswitch with the box, or maybe I could work out a way to send the signal down a special guitar cord.... I'm sure that could be done... It is 1" by 1" and will fit in most pedals.

regards, Jack

• Members

I have had the idea to remote trigger my delay tap tempo, since I went wireless. You can use a cheap wireless doorbell ringer system, and replace the buzzer with a relay that opens and closes the tap tempo circuit. I imagine you can replace the spst relay with a latching relay for leaving a pedal on, but you would have to tear it apart and replace the footswitch with the relay.

• Members

Cheers for the input guys.

Me and my electronically wise friend completed the wireless switch and it works great!

Basically I bought a single channel wireless transmitter from Maplin and attached the transmitter switch to a toggle switch (momentary) on my guitar.

The receiver was attached to 2 DPDT relays that do the channel switching, effects loop on/off and LED.

Works great and has a range of between 30-40m :-)

Overall it cost

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I realise that this post is a few years old but it came up on Google and I thought it would be worth mentioning that someone has at last made a remote control footswitch.

I understand that it can bypass any usual footswitch application and uses remote control that can be connected to a microphone or place that is convienent for the user.

You can not only turn off the reverb but also play / pause your musci on demand.  the company is called remote reverb or remote switches.

www.remotereverb.co.uk

I hope this helps?

I believe the reviews from people are quite good!

Archived