Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supercharging a V8

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Supercharging a V8

    ** Edit Jul 2015 ** I see this thread has become pretty mangled with big chunks missing so I built a summary page on my site - www.VerneAndru.com - click the Supercharged V8 link. You should be able to find the link in the Music section as well.
    **

    I was recently in the market for a low-watt tube amp for a project I
    Last edited by Verne Andru; 07-17-2015, 01:26 PM.
    --------------------------------
    www.VerneAndru.com

  • #2
    The only other "fix" is some additional clean headroom. This can be had by swapping the 12AX7 for a 12AT7. That gives you another 20 to 30 percent clean headroom and about that much more volume.



    There
    --------------------------------
    www.VerneAndru.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Any thoughts on the V16?
      "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

      Comment


      • #4
        i have a Dodge Dart with an F1 Procharger

        its good for 9.80's
        Originally Posted by adlo76


        i used think guitarmandp was a douchebag.
        now i'm certain.

        Comment


        • #5
          ooooooops guess i should have read first
          Originally Posted by adlo76


          i used think guitarmandp was a douchebag.
          now i'm certain.

          Comment


          • #6





            The sales literature states
            DC in DC







            Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco


            DIY, the ultimate in wankery. Actually, wankery is the ultimate in DIY.



            SPAM: My eBay Auctions!


            My Good Dealings with, SPAM Thread, & Signature Quotes post

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by dcindc
              View Post

              If it's one tube, it's class A, otherwise it would have horrible distortion. No audio product with a single tube would be biased anything but Class A. It would sound like KaKa.




              That's what I thought until I ran across this article - Is the Vox AC-30 Really Class A. The reason I'm leaning toward class A/B is that when I record DI out of the power section, the waveform looks clipped at the bottom like the purple and green waveforms here [from that link]







              I would have to dust off my scope to really get to the bottom of this, but it really isn't that important to me. Makes for interesting reading though.
              --------------------------------
              www.VerneAndru.com

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFret
                View Post

                i have a Dodge Dart with an F1 Procharger

                its good for 9.80's




                The old 340 Darts were monsters. Too bad they tended to self-destruct.
                --------------------------------
                www.VerneAndru.com

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo
                  View Post

                  Any thoughts on the V16?




                  I looked at the V16's and was interested, but I passed for a number of reasons. The reviews said the reverb is kinda meh. An amp tech had posted a review on either the GC or MF site [it's since been deleted] going to great pains to explain that it had a microphonic tube problem. He said he had been working with SLM but nobody could come up with a fix. The FX loop was the biggie for me though. While the V8 isn't enough to gig with unaided, the DI I built into the backpack lets me jack into a PA, or my G100 2x10, giving me more than enough horsepower when needed. And, at only 18 lbs, it's a cinch to load in and out.
                  --------------------------------
                  www.VerneAndru.com

                  Comment


                  • #10






                    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru
                    View Post

                    That's what I thought until I ran across this article - Is the Vox AC-30 Really Class A. The reason I'm leaning toward class A/B is that when I record DI out of the power section, the waveform looks clipped at the bottom like the purple and green waveforms here [from that link]





                    I would have to dust off my scope to really get to the bottom of this, but it really isn't that important to me. Makes for interesting reading though.




                    ANY two ouput tube amp will be Class AB. Stupid to do otherwise.

                    ANY single tube amp will be Class A. REALLY stupid to do otherwise.



                    Check your grounds, sounds like you are floating.
                    DC in DC







                    Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco


                    DIY, the ultimate in wankery. Actually, wankery is the ultimate in DIY.



                    SPAM: My eBay Auctions!


                    My Good Dealings with, SPAM Thread, & Signature Quotes post

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFret
                      View Post

                      i have a Dodge Dart with an F1 Procharger

                      its good for 9.80's






                      Damn. Which block is it?

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by dcindc
                        View Post

                        ANY two ouput tube amp will be Class AB. Stupid to do otherwise.

                        ANY single tube amp will be Class A. REALLY stupid to do otherwise.



                        Check your grounds, sounds like you are floating.




                        Gibson did make some dual tube - single ended amps. Those too are class A. Some lower power tube amps are biased class A, for no other reason than that is just what they did.
                        We are no longer hitchhiking, we're riding!

                        www.plush-amps.com

                        Member - HCFXSCOC and HCJRAKPOS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          its a new mopar block thats been o ringed
                          Originally Posted by adlo76


                          i used think guitarmandp was a douchebag.
                          now i'm certain.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nice thread. Good 411.

                            Thanks for posting.

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by dcindc
                              View Post

                              ANY two ouput tube amp will be Class AB. Stupid to do otherwise.

                              ANY single tube amp will be Class A. REALLY stupid to do otherwise.



                              Check your grounds, sounds like you are floating.




                              Checked into and corrected. There was a floating ground on the L-Pad. I ran a lead from it to the chassis and the issue cleared up.
                              --------------------------------
                              www.VerneAndru.com

                              Comment













                              Working...
                              X