PROJECT: Zakk Wylde Rebel

mrguitartech

• Members

Ive always liked Zakk Wylde's Confederate flag Les Paul Custom but you cant buy one so the only option was to make one! I dont have the cash to buy a Gibson Les Paul Custom to do it, so I purchased a used Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Alpine White.

I will update this thread as I progress with the build/customisation.

Costs to Date:

Epiphone LP Custom

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sanding continued....

DSC02586.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

I used some 400 grit sandpaper on the top of the body to remove the top coat of lacquer, therefore the finish would be roughed up so further coats of paint would stick better

Masking off the binding:

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

I masked off the top binding so when i applied sanding sealer to the back/neck/sides/headstock i wouldnt get any on the white finish on the front.

Applying the sanding sealer:

DSC02619.jpg

DSC02620.jpg

Masking off the whole of the guitar except the front to prepare it for the flag design...

DSC02638.jpg

• Members

More stars....

DSC02700.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02712.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

After 4 coats of blue:

DSC02749.jpg

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I cut out a template for the numbers '04' which feature on Zakk's guitar, and then used them to cut it out of masking tape. I tried using the '0' template but it didnt look very good so in the end I drew it on the masking tape using ruler and compass and then cut it out with an x-acto knife. I used the template for the '4'

Then I applied some coats of the red, which fortunately have covered the error mentioned above (Painted a bit blue which should be red!)

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

• Members

Measuring up where to put the numbers using the templates I made...

DSC00103.jpg

Masking tape cut and applied....

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

After 1 coat of red...

DSC00113.jpg

After 5 coats of red....

DSC00118.jpg

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Taking the masking tape off....

DSC02780.jpg

DSC02787.jpg

• Members

All the front masking tape removed...

DSC02792.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

All masking tape removed from the guitar....

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02811.jpg

You can check out this and my other guitar projects on my website, www.mrguitartech.com and while you are there sign up to the forums!

Ive done the clear coat as well but it looks pretty similar to no need for more pics! I am now leaving it for 1month for the paint to cure before the rebeling begins!

• Members

Not really into Zakk (skammer)...or the Confederate Flag (what it stands for)...or both of those together (zakks from Joizey)

But you did a good job doing what you wanted to do.

Did you clear coat it after?

Are you gonna hammer bottle caps into it?

Shouldn't there be another partial star behind the bridge pup?

• Members

I not only "bought into" the 357 scam...I told friends who "bought into" it also.

I was able to get my cash back (I paid with a CC). They weren't (They sent checks). HIS friends set it up, HIS website promoted it, HE is a crook of the highest order. PM me I'll give you his home address (what you choose to do with that info is none of my business).

You don't have to feel bad for me or my friends...but you cannot say Zakk didn't know/benefit from that {censored}.

He'll get his.

• Members

And what does it stand for?

The guitar is looking great dude. Keep the thread updated with pictures.

Freedom for the South to do what they felt was right for them.

Keep slaves.

I grew up in the South. I live in the South. I know the argument. I don't care.

The "War of Northern Aggression" was a war to END slavery.

We're damn lucky they did too. ALL OF US.

• Members

I know YOU don't want it for political reasons.

Just know that, for MANY, it still transfers the message that it once stood for.

If I wanted to paint a guitar with a giant swastika...because I liked the "look" of it...even though I didn't do it for "political" reasons...would THAT be appropriate?

I say no. You say yes. Just telling you others see something besides what you see.

You still did a GREAT JOB!!! MUCH better than I could. I'd like to see some macro shots of the stars and paint seams. I'd also like to see some shots where the binding meets the paint. Did you clearcoat the binding?

You've got mail.

• Members

I know YOU don't want it for political reasons.

Just know that, for MANY, it still transfers the message that it once stood for.

If I wanted to paint a guitar with a giant swastika...because I liked the "look" of it...even though I didn't do it for "political" reasons...would THAT be appropriate?

The fact of the matter is, the American Civil War ended 143 years ago.

And The Confederate flag means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

I doubt Z.W. owns any slaves, so he must be using the flag to symbolize that he is a "rebel"...just like the guys with mullets driving the T-topped IROC Z's and a Confederate flag license plate... although, some of those guys are racist too...

And, hey, the swastika wasn't always a symbol of intolerance either. Though, I think a swastika guitar is a much bigger deal than a rebel flag guitar.

Either way, I think you should go ahead and pull the stick out of your ass.

• Members

Either way, I think you should go ahead and pull the stick out of your ass.

Funny that you should say that.

I work in Bentonville...and live in Bella Vista.:wave:

There's no stick...I'm just saying that...hell, you know what I'm saying, you just disagree.

Just know that it DOES mean many things to many people and one of those is wishing that millions of people be in bondage/involuntary servitude. And that's FUKD.

But if you don't care about other people's feelings then do what you want. You will anyway.

regards.

• Members

so he must be using the flag to symbolize that he is a "rebel"

...so will you come to my defense when I get hassled about painting a guitar with a swastika, because I like how it means "peace and tranquility" to hindu's and NOT how it stands for to death and torture of millions of Jews?

Would you? That war was over 50years ago...:poke:

• Members

I don't think I would have a guitar with either symbol to tell you the truth.

I'm just saying that there are better things to get offended over than a Confederate flag guitar. I mean, the flag has been a symbol of rock and roll for over 30 years now and I don't think anyone is going to relate racism with a guitar like that..

..Excluding guys with sticks up their asses..:poke:

Archived