Router jig for making radius sanding blocks

roycew93

• Members

I don't see how you adjust for different radii. I'd like to do this & make 2 or every radius out there. I have some 8/4 maple just begging for a use. Not good enough for a neck but good enough for this. Yes I have some leftover plywood to make the jig. BTW I worked in a place that said jig was not a politically correct word. So everything became a fixture.

• Members

brilliant work..! and great, easily understood pics.

but wait, you're using a Craftsman router; don't you know that'll get the tool snobs all over your case? Sorta like using a Mackie mixer? (btw, I have that router to; for about 20 years ) :):)

• Members

I saw this on the Project Guitar site. Maybe that's where you saw it as well. I thought about making one as well but for the number of times I would use it, I would have more in costs of the jig...I mean fixture. ;-) At this point, I just need a 16" block for a project I'm doing so I'll probably order it from StewMac......unless you want to make me one and I'll pay you for your troubles. ;-)

• Members

As a suggestion, make some with hard wood. Something like a 2x4 is pretty soft and can wear or warp easily. I have wood ones around that have gotten dented over the years and dont do as good of job. I do plan on getting some alluminum ones one of these days.

• Members

Wow, props to you on making your own jig! That's right, I said jig. {censored} the PC {censored} and learn to use Google to find definitions. Just because some twit can't handle words over four characters long shortens a slur term from seven letters to three, it doesn't mean the word is in common use.

I was all hyped about sending some business your way too, but I hear you on not having any denser wood lying around. I have radius gauges but unfortunately no room to set up my router for doing things like this.

For those too lazy or can't figure how to use Google:

• Members

I have decided to go with the 2X4 block. Since I am not in a production environment, 2X4 will work for me. I plan to coat the block with epoxy and am going to attach some scrap square tube to the top for added rigidity.

:deadhorse:jig:deadhorse:

• Members

Nice jig! I made something similar and there is an Ebayer selling 7" maple blocks for $15.50 delivered in 7.25" - 9" - 10" - 12"- 14" - 16" and 20" radii. I have a call into him to make me a compound radius block!

(kidding!)

IME once you rout them they tend to wander from "flat" to "bowed" unless they are good hardwood and/or backed by to a stout piece of steel of aluminum. I use double stick carpet tape and good silicon carbide wet/dry paper.

Oh LMII has very nice hardwood blocks, their SRPL1620 is a 12" x +3" radius block with a 16

• Members

I happen to live by a hardwood dimensional mill so, it is nice to find good finds. I am getting a decent price on some North American White Maple Hardwood Boards. 2 - 10'X3" pieces of 8/4 planed and ripped perfect true. So since i only like a couple of hours from Royce I am offering him one of the 10' pieces for his own set if he would route me out one. :) Plus a case of beer and his charge :)

• 1 year later...

Archived